An Obvious Fact: A Longmire Mystery by Craig…

An Obvious Fact: A Longmire Mystery

by Craig Johnson

Series: Walt Longmire (13)

2231973,743 (3.98)61

Walt and his Cheyenne buddy Henry Standing Bear hit the road to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota. Henry has a date with a motorcycle race up a hill, and Walt is along for the ride, so to speak. But when Henry's long-ago amour Lola (the tempestuous woman for whom he named his beloved Thunderbird) shows up asking Walt to help her find out who caused her son's motorcycle accident, the sheriff from Absaroka County finds himself hip-deep in murder, attempted murder, undercover federal agents, gun-running, neo-Nazis and family secrets.

I enjoyed this entry in the series, although I'm not as much of a fan of the books that are set away from Absaroka County. I miss the passel of vivid secondary characters that Johnson has created there. The consolation here is a hefty dose of Henry and also Vic, who returns from Philadelphia in time to help Walt and Henry run down the bad guys — almost literally. ( )
  rosalita | Mar 14, 2018 |
Love my Craig Johnson! Even though I'm not a motorcycle/car person enjoyed this book. Vic is in rare form! ( )
  carolfoisset | Jan 6, 2018 |
If I had to list my favorite ongoing book series would Longmire definitely be on it! I discovered the series a couple of years ago and read all the books that had been published until I ran out of Longmire books and then I had to start waiting for new ones to be written. The agony!

An Obvious Fact is book 12 in the series and while it's good I still think the last really great book was book 9, A Serpent's Tooth. Not that the books after A Serpent's Tooth has been bad, it's just that, despite how much I adore the characters in this series the stories has not always been so fantastic that I found the one in A Serpent's Tooth to be. I had high hopes that this book would prove to be really good since the last book ended with the murder of a close family member to Walt Longmire. But, the story in this book instead was about a young man run off the road and the appearance of the original Lola, the person that Henry's '59 Thunderbird is named after and in some extension Walt's granddaughter. Of course, the murder was mentioned since it has affected many of the characters in this book, but that about it.

Nevertheless, despite not loving the story 100% was it quite enjoyable reading the book thanks to Walt, Vic, and Henry and of course Dog! Henry spent the book quoting Arthur Conan Doyle to Walt's annoyance, and Vic shows what a badass shooter she really is. And, Walt, as always got in trouble, well Walt, Vic, and Henry got in trouble. So, I can't say that I did not enjoy reading the book since I loved many parts of the book. It was just the "case" was not that interesting and the big bad was not a total surprise. And, Lola, well she was a real bitch and if I was Cady would I have renamed my child and definitely not called my car Lola again!

I want to thank Viking Books for proving me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
This book was solidly a 3.75 in both writing and presentation (audiobook).
This book is the 2017 Tidal Wave book for Coos County libraries. Everyone in the county is encouraged to read or listen to the book, and then in April, the author will come and give a couple of talks. This is the first time I ever got on board.
This book was pleasant enough, my only complaint is that it is book number whatever in the Longmire series. While ninety percent of it makes sense, there is a significant amount of references to incidents from previous books and even more importantly the inter-personal relationships between the main characters. I never could figure out if one of the couples is actually a couple or just one person wanting the pair to be a couple. ( )
  Eric.Cone | Sep 28, 2017 |
Starring The Pequod! Lots of fun. ( )
  nhlsecord | Apr 17, 2017 |

Craig Johnsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother, Greg, who had his head run over once, which explains a lot.
I tried to think how many times I'd kneeled down on asphalt to read the signs, but I knew this was the first time I'd done it in Hulett.

In the latest installment of the New York Times bestselling Longmire series—the basis for the hit drama Longmire, now on Netflix—Walt, Henry, and Vic discover much more than they bargained for when they are called in to investigate a hit-and-run accident near Devils Tower

In the midst of the largest motorcycle rally in the world, a young biker is run off the road and ends up in critical condition. When Sheriff Walt Longmire and his good friend Henry Standing Bear are called to Hulett, Wyoming—the nearest town to America's first national monument, Devils Tower—to investigate, things start getting complicated. As competing biker gangs; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms; a military-grade vehicle donated to the tiny local police force by a
wealthy entrepreneur; and Lola, the real-life femme fatale and namesake for Henry's '59 Thunderbird (and, by extension, Walt's granddaughter) come into play, it rapidly becomes clear that there is more to get to the bottom of at this year's Sturgis Motorcycle Rally than a bike accident. After all, in the words of Arthur Conan Doyle, whose Adventures of Sherlock Holmes the Bear won't stop quoting, "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 18 Dec 2015 13:28:18 -0500)

In the midst of the largest motorcycle rally in the world, a young biker is run off the road and ends up in critical condition. When Sheriff Walt Longmire and his good friend Henry Standing Bear are called to Hulett, Wyoming - the nearest town to America's first national monument, Devils Tower - to investigate, things start getting complicated. As competing biker gangs; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms; a military-grade vehicle donated to the tiny local police force by a wealthy entrepreneur; and Lola, the real-life femme fatale and namesake for Henry's '59 Thunderbird (and, by extension, Walt's granddaughter) come into play, it rapidly becomes clear that there is more to get to the bottom of at this year's Sturgis Motorcycle Rally than a bike accident.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,029,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible