dismiss

When the Moon Was Ours: A Novel by…

When the Moon Was Ours: A Novel

by Anna-Marie McLemore

"To everyone who knows them, best friends Miel and Sam are as strange as they are inseparable. Roses grow out of Miel's wrist, and rumors say that she spilled out of a water tower when she was five. Sam is known for the moons he paints and hangs in the trees and for how little anyone knows about his life before he and his mother moved to town. But as odd as everyone considers Miel and Sam, even they stay away from the Bonner girls, four beautiful sisters rumored to be witches."--… (more)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (kgriffith)
    kgriffith: Magical realism, beautiful prose, setting as a character/catalyst

I know what I'm getting when I open an Anna-Marie McLemore book now: heartache, breathtakingly magical storytelling, and gorgeous prose. I think I'll need Aracely to cure me of literary lovesickness as I wait for "Wild Beauty".

One thing to get out of the way that I have to squee about: the chapter titles are all lunar water features. Perfection.

Sam and Miel. *squinchy hand motions* *clutches chest* *sighs* The thing with beautiful writing and wonderful characters is that they're so damn difficult to describe in regular, non-genius-writer terms. And I absolutely can't say anything beyond the cover copy without ruining the slow-burn enjoyment of this so....

Anyways, this novel is lovely and achy, and if you haven't read McLemore's first, "The Weight of Feathers", buy that and then pre-order this. ( )
  allison_s | May 25, 2020 |
If you love magical realism, you will love this book. If you love gentle trans love stories, then you will also love this book. I had difficulties reading it because the story is so soft and dreamy; it felt like a lullaby, a kind of book I wanted to fall asleep into its world. The prose is beautiful, and really suits the mood: atmosphere, in my opinion, was the best part of the story. The plot is meh, but the love stories in it are stunning. There were so many, like the love between family members, and the love between souls, and the love for one's self. I absolutely loved Samir's story, and how he was allowed to be the male romantic lead, no questions asked. McLemore writes a very personal and honest novel, and that is what makes this book shine.

Take your time to read this book and fall into its world, because it really is lovely. ( )
  ainjel | Jun 20, 2019 |
I don't usually like magical realism, but this was GOOD. ( )
  thelevelshelf | Jun 9, 2019 |
What a wonderful little book! I purchased When the Moon Was Ours after reading so many positive reviews from my friends here on Goodreads, but I was not quite sure what I was getting into. This fairy tale is pure magic; a perfect companion for a gloomy Sunday afternoon. I devoured this book is one sitting and will definitely be on the look out for more of McLemore's work. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
This book was not for me. It's been a minute since I dipped into magical realism as a genre, and it's still not one that I can do. If you're looking for YA magical realism, go ahead and give this one a go, but if that's not your thing, this isn't going to change your mind. ( )
  Dez.dono | Mar 27, 2018 |
added by g33kgrrl | editNew York Times, Jeff Giles (Nov 11, 2016)

As she did in The Weight of Feathers, McElmore blends magical elements with a culturally vibrant cast to create a haunting modern fairy tale.
added by g33kgrrl | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 17, 2016)

Maybe I need you the way that big moon needs

that open sea.

Maybe I didn't even know I was here 'til I saw you

holding me.

-Andrea Gibson
To the boys who get called girls,

the girls who get called boys,

and those who live outside these words.

To those called names

and those searching for names of their own.

To those who live on the edges,

and in the spaces in between.

I wish for you every light in the sky.
As far as he knew, she had come from the water. But even about that, he couldn't be sure.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,677,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible