Ninefox Gambit (Machineries of Empire Book…

Ninefox Gambit (Machineries of Empire Book 1) (edition 2016)

by Yoon Ha Lee (Author)

Captain Kel Cheris of the hexarchate is disgraced for using unconventional methods in a battle against heretics. Kel Command gives her the opportunity to redeem herself by retaking the Fortress of Scattered Needles, a star fortress that has recently been captured by heretics. Cheris's career isn't the only thing at stake. If the fortress falls, the hexarchate itself might be next. Cheris's best hope is to ally with the undead tactician Shuos Jedao. The good news is that Jedao has never lost a battle, and he may be the only one who can figure out how to successfully besiege the fortress. The bad news is that Jedao went mad in his first life and massacred two armies, one of them his own. As the siege wears on, Cheris must decide how far she can trust Jedao--because she might be his next victim.… (more)
Member:thelevelshelf
Title:Ninefox Gambit (Machineries of Empire Book 1)
Authors:Yoon Ha Lee (Author)
Info:Solaris (2016), 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee (Author)

Recently added byAurumCalendula, alent1234, private library, jbruto, daxjansen, Gewurz, joiken, mantrasong

3.5 rounded up ( )
  ssteinbr | Sep 21, 2019 |
This is one of those stories that afterwards lingers and makes you rethink how you see the world. It took me a while to get into the story but then it flew.

Captain Kel Cheris is disgraced by unconventional tactics; her chance to redeem herself is to host the mind of long-dead tactician Shuos Jedao normally this would subsume the original mind but together these two work on the siege and form a new alliance that will change things.

It's an interesting read and I'm glad I read it, I didn't continue reading this series when reading the Hugos as I felt I needed some breathing space between me and the next book in this series..

I have to admit that I found it a bit difficult to get into but compelling once I was there. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Sep 8, 2019 |
See book 3
  Maddz | Aug 31, 2019 |
I knew there was a possibility I wouldn’t like this, but I thought that would be because it would turn out to be too dark. I wasn’t expecting the worldbuilding to be so inscrutable and confusing. When I started reading it, I could only get through a few pages at a time.

I pushed myself to keep reading, at first because I know some books need more time before they “click” with me, and then because I was curious about what the twists and the answers would be. But there was no click. I was still somewhat confused and the story didn’t encourage me to care enough about the characters… I wouldn’t say I disliked it, I just don’t have any strong feelings.

I really don’t know if I will read the sequels or not.

She was so tired, and she had no idea what, if anything, she had done right. In mathematics you had peer review, definite proofs and answers, but war was nothing but uncertainty multiplied by uncertainty. ( )
  Herenya | Jul 17, 2019 |
Nevertheless, Cheris is still rich enough, as she stands, to make the whole book work. She lands in the middle of an elaborate and incomprehensible plan and figures out a way through it that is uniquely her own, and that speaks to what matters to her. This isn't unlike what the reader of Ninefox Gambit has to do. "You know what's going on, right?" Ninefox Gambit asks. Often, you have to say, "Uh, yeah, of course," when the real answer is "I have no idea, but I really, really care." And then you keep reading.

Lee knows that if the fate of the world is at stake, the reader has to care about that world, so he uses language as a way to reveal a beauty that can be found even in the depths of an interstellar war. He builds more in a couple of sentences than some authors manage in entire novels, and beautifully.
added by g33kgrrl | editTor.com, Aidan Moher (Jun 15, 2016)

Ninefox Gambit Is a Space Opera to Tax Your Brain and Ignite Your Imagination

Lee, Yoon HaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeller, Emily WooNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Yune Kyung Lee, best sister ever, who was there when everything began.
At Kel Academy, an instructor had explained to Cheris's class that the threshold winnower was a weapon of last resort, and not just for its notorious connotations.
The point of war is to rig the deck, drug the opponent, and threaten to kneecap their family if they don't fold.

When Captain Kel Cheris of the hexarchate is disgraced for her unconventional tactics, Kel Command gives her a chance to redeem herself, by retaking the Fortress of Scattered Needles from the heretics. Cheris's career isn't the only thing at stake: if the fortress falls, the hexarchate itself might be next.

As the siege wears on, Cheris must decide how far she can trust Jedao—because she might be his next victim.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,160,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible