Heroines of Mercy Street: The Real Nurses of the Civil War

by Pamela D. Toler

"Tells the true stories of the nurses at Mansion House, the Alexandria, Virginia hotel turned wartime hospital, and the setting for the PBS show Mercy Street"--

Browsing the Library I saw this book and was immediately attracted to it as it had the PBS mark on the cover. Mercy Street was a series a few years back and I really enjoyed it.

The book covers the real women who served as nurses and matrons during the civil war at Mansion house in Alexandria, Virginia. It delves into the hardships these women faced and the battles they fought with the Doctors and the Government. Dorothea Dix, Mary Phinny and countless other women paved the way for nursing to become respected profession.

I love learning something new, and what I learned here was that these women developed the "special diet" for patients unable to digest an ordinary meal.

This is a very readable book, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in learning the roots of nursing in America. ( )
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |
non Fiction Hx of Nusing during Civil War 1860-1867
  pcalsdorf | Jun 28, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,405,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible