dismiss

Obsidio

by Amie Kaufman, Jay Kristoff

Other authors: Marie Lu (Illustrator)

Series: The Illuminae Files (3)

Kady, Ezra, Hanna, Nik, and 2,000 other refugees must return by container ship to Kerenza, where they meet Rhys, once close to Kady's cousin, Asha, and now their enemy.
    The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima (Vulco1)
    Vulco1: Yong adults are thrown into situations that are over they're heads and have o use their guile and toughness to get out. And there is romance.

Third in the series - and it sticks the landing nicely. The action returns to Kerenza and adds two more teens to provide their perspective to the story. Relax - your favorites from the first two books have substantial parts in this tale as well - including Hal AIDAN . I really enjoyed this one - but the first in the series is my hands down favorite. As with the first two, I listened to this one in the car - the production is really well done. ( )
  wills2003 | Jul 30, 2020 |
This series is so fantastic. I'll be looking up more of their work! I didn't want it to end! The format can be weird for some but I just loved it. It fit with the storyline so well. ( )
  jpeterman | Jul 10, 2020 |
Excellent end to the series. Better review to follow later. ( )
  Virago77 | Jul 3, 2020 |
I still can't believe this series is over. I want more!!!!! But at the same time, it ended perfectly! I was so happy with literally every aspect of this book!!

I read this book in a day.
I went to the library after lunch, to pick up my other hold, and saw Obsidio waiting for me. I almost screamed, remembered just in time that I was in a library, and instead let out a strange strangled gasp. I then proceeded to grip he book very tightly until I checked it out, as if I was scared it was going to disappear or something (I sort of was... ūüėĀ). Then I plunked myself down on the couch at home and ignored everything and everyone until I finished the book. Then I went to bed, because it was waaaayyyyy later than I'd meant to stay up.
I have no regrets.

Okay, onto the actual review.... (although I think that probably already gave you a sense of how much I loved this book)
Of course by 'actual review' I mean 'excited shrieking about the book that I will pretend is a real review'

Warning: I won't spoil Obsidio, but there may be spoilers for Illuminae and Gemina

Wow. I didn't think it was possible for this to be better than the first two. I was wrong. I think Obsisdio is my favourite in the series. It was pure perfection!

I loved all the plot threads! This book had SO many things going on, and it was so complex, but never once did it get confusing. And the fact is, I cared about every single plot thread. I never care about every plot thread. Never. Unless there's only a couple, I have some that I'm invested in, and some that I just don't care about. Always. Not so with this book. I needed to know how everything was going to be resolved. I was frustrated for a split second every time it switched to a different character, only to remember how much I cared about that character's story, and be thrilled again.

I adored all the characters! I was super happy to see so much of Kady and Ezra, and Hanna and Nik, and Ella, and Isaac, and AIDAN, and everybody else from the earlier books, seeing as my one problem with Gemina was that I missed Kady and Ezra. Not so in this one.
I also loved the new characters! Asha is wonderful! Rhys is also wonderful! And Katya! And all of Asha's rebel friends! And LITERALLY EVERY CHARACTER THAT IS IN THIS BOOK!!!!! (Well, you know, mostly... I didn't liked Frobisher, or most of the BeiTech people obviously... But you know what I mean)

I also love how funny these books are! Isaac Grant scolding them for swearing! Nik and his parachute! Babyface! All the wonderful amazing banter! I don't even know how many times this book made me laugh out loud, but it was a lot!

Of course, as always, I love the formatting of these books! Maybe it's not for everyone, but I love the uniqueness of it! I've always enjoyed reading things told through emails and chat messages and such, so of course I love those aspects, but I love all of it really! I love the way AIDAN narrates! I LOVE the way some of the battle scenes are done. I usually don't really like battle scenes, but these ones are SO unique, and I love when the formatting goes all over the place during them!

So cool! (Sorry that image sort of sucks, but... I used blurry photos so the text wasn't readable so that I didn't spoil anything. Mostly I just wanted to try and figure out how to add a photo.)

This book was also a complete roller-coaster of emotions. One moment I would be sobbing, and the next I would be laughing, and then I would be on the edge of me seat, needing to remind myself to breath. My dad came downstairs while I was reading to me going "Nonononononononononononononononononononononononono‚Äč. . .yes?" (He was very confused. I can't blame him.) and I think this pretty much accurately sums up my feelings during this book... Repeated over and over again, and with a few more emotions thrown in to the mix maybe.

I don't want this series to be over. I want more of all these wonderful characters. I want more spectacular formatting. I want more mind bending plots. I want more of this world that I've grown so used to over the course of three books. I want to reread the whole series all over again.

Can you tell I loved this book? No? Okay, I'll scream about it a bit more.
I LOVE THIS BOOK! WITH ALL OF MY HEART!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! I LOVE KADY AND HER SNARKY SARCASM!! I LOVE EZRA 'BABYFACE' MASON!! I LOVE HANNA IN ALL HER SPOILED PRINCESS GLORY!!! I LOVE NIK EVEN WITH HIS RUDE, PROBABLY SOMEWHAT GRATING, PERSONALITY!!! (Okay, we all knowI love him even more for it) I LOVE ASHA WITH HER QUIET STRENGTH AND DETERMINATION!! I LOVE RHYS... once he clues in that BeiTech is actually completely awful.

I LOVE AIDAN. I LOVE ISAAC GRANT. I LOVE WINNIFRED MCCALL. I LOVE THIS WORLD, I LOVE THE FORMATTING, I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS BOOK!!!

I love this series with all of my heart. If you haven't read it, WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING?!?! Go read it. Now. You won't regret it. ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
I went through some changes with this book.

At first, I was all excited to get to the next (and last), to see what happened to my favorite mad AI or, to a lesser degree, the silly tragic kids constantly surrounded by death and destruction and corporate greed and space-opera goodness.

And then war set in.

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it. It kinda dragged for me. I wondered if it was all me or if I was meant to be dragged through the mud of never-ending resistance or feeling the horror of being on the side of evil and not having any means of getting out of it. The ambiguity should have worked for me, but this novel just kept getting darker and darker.

Every time my buddy AI came on stage, I was pretty happy, but the rest of the time, I had to wonder whether I was feeling down or if it was the purpose of the book.

Suicide triggers, ya'll. Fair warning.

I mean, I've read worse when it comes to suicide triggers, but I suppose I felt kinda close to it here. Sigh.

Still... I don't know what to think about that end. Objectively, the whole novel is full of action and I loved getting more of the original characters from Illuminae and all the battles and military actions felt authentic. I'm sure it's going to be on a lot of people's love lists.

Just not mine, unfortunately. I liked it for the most part, just not enough to go crazy like I had before.

bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

McClain, JohnathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, ErinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Marie. Who else?
Perhaps we should get proceedings under way?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,962,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible