Lady Knight by Tamora Pierce
When she became a knight, eighteen-year-old Kel hoped to be given a combat post, but instead she finds herself named commander of an outpost of refugees, where she must face the unnatural forces of the evil Balyce.

I find I preferred the books on Kel's training over her book on being a knight, but this was still very well written and exciting from the first page to the last. I wish there were more. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
I was sad to see no jousting, but I suppose that really wouldn't fit with the somber atmosphere of war that Pierce seems to be creating here.

Still a Pierce book: there is plenty of anachronistic speech and a happy ending is guaranteed.

It was quite nice to read a book where the heroine isn't paired off at the end and doesn't ride off into the sunset to go get baby-making. Kel has always come-off as a workaholic and I was glad to see that she didn't end paired with Cleon.

As for those reviewer who noted that Kel wasn't very heartbroken and should have been in that situation? Well. Um. Distance changes things and something primarily based on hormones tends to fade away with time. Trust me. Given all of Kel's reservations about the situation, I thought her reaction to Cleon breaking it off was perfectly in character.
  treehorse | Nov 7, 2019 |
Oh, Kel. I'll miss you. I kind of wish she's had someone to love and kiss at the end, since Raoul and Neal were both getting married, but I understand that it wasn't in the cards.

Better review later ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Kel goes through her Ordeal, and comes out a knight--but a knight with a mission. She's been given a vision of the abominations being created to attack Tortall, and she wants to pursue the vision immediately. Instead, she's ordered to command a refugee camp. She hardly knows where to begin, but her years with Lord Raoul pay off, and she quickly gains the respect of the soldiers, refugees, and convicts through her organization, quick thinking, and hard work. But Kel can't stay off the front lines forever, and eventually she must face down the man who kills children and uses their souls to power war machines.

I loved reading about Kel's time running the refugee camp/fortress. She considers so many options, and works herself so hard; it's inspiring. I wasn't so thrilled by her climactic battle at the end--I felt like she got so much help from cats&dogs that she hardly did anything. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Description: Keladry of Mindelan has finally achieved her life-long dream of being a knight. But it’s not turning out as she imagined at all. With the land of Tortall at war with the Scanrans, she has been assigned to oversee a refugee camp. But Kel has had a vision in the Chamber—a vision of the man behind the horrific battle machines that her fellow knights and friends are now fighting without her. She is torn between a duty she has sworn and a quest that she feels could turn the tide of the war.

Thoughts: I'm sad that this subseries is done. I really liked Kel and her compatriots and would have happily read a few more books about her adventures. I greatly appreciated that Kel was just an ordinary girl who pushed herself to be the best she could be and to never ignore the pain and suffering of others to get what she wanted.

I have only two real complaints about this one. Firstly, the climax of the story was handled a bit too quickly and easily for my tastes, but it wasn't out f character for Pierce's books. Secondly, I'm irritated that we don't get to find out what happens to Kel in the romance department. On the one hand, Kel is the most independent and focused of Pierce's heroines, never letting boys turn her head too much from her goals and business. That's nice to see. And Pierce didn't just throw her together with someone at the end of the series to wrap it up, thank heavens. But it was immensely frustrating to watch Kel's feelings grow and change and to not really get an answer as to who she would end up with. Three other weddings at the end but we couldn't even get a clear answer about Kel and Dom or Kel and ANYONE?

I would recommend this subseries with much less reservation than the others I've read so far and I'm glad I stuck it out through the ones I didn't love to get to this one!

Rating: 3.99

Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerardi, JanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patti, JoyceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LiselotteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the people of New York City: I always knew the great sacrifice and kindness my neighbours are capable of, but now the rest of the world knows, too.
She lay with the comfortable black blanket of sleep wrapped around her.
"Mistresses, have you ever noticed that when we disagree with a male -- I hesitate to say 'man' -- or find ourselves in a position over males, the first comment they make is always about our reputations or our monthlies?" (Chapter 7, Tirrsmont Refugees, p.155)

"This is one of the knights who has come to defend the border - Lady Knight Keladry of Mindelan"

Kel is finally a knight. The first girl to make it in decades. She's dealt with the hazing and prejudice of her year-mates, and the terrifying Ordeal, the final test of a squire. Now she faces the real thing. Tortall is at war.

The Scanran raiders have united to form an army, and they're invading. Refugees are flooding away from the northern border, destitute and terrified, with stories of the fearsome metal creatures that the invaders have brought with them. Kel's post is to the border refugee camp - the Scanrans, and their monstrous weapons will be waiting for her...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,401,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible