Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive…

by Ibram X. Kendi (Author)

Americans like to insist that we are living in a postracial, color-blind society. In fact, racist thought is alive and well; it has simply become more sophisticated and more insidious. And as historian Ibram X. Kendi argues, racist ideas in this country have a long and lingering history, one in which nearly every great American thinker is complicit. Kendi chronicles the entire story of anti-Black racist ideas and their staggering power over the course of American history. Stamped from the Beginning uses the lives of five major American intellectuals to offer a window into the contentious debates between assimilationists and segregationists and between racists and antiracists. From Puritan minister Cotton Mather to Thomas Jefferson, from fiery abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison to brilliant scholar W.E.B. Du Bois to legendary anti-prison activist Angela Davis, Kendi shows how and why some of our leading proslavery and pro-civil rights thinkers have challenged or helped cement racist ideas in America. As Kendi provocatively illustrates, racist thinking did not arise from ignorance or hatred. Racist ideas were created and popularized in an effort to defend deeply entrenched discriminatory policies and to rationalize the nation's racial inequities in everything from wealth to health. While racist ideas are easily produced and easily consumed, they can also be discredited--From publisher's website.… (more)
Member:jbreten
Title:Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America (National Book Award Winner)
Authors:Ibram X. Kendi (Author)
Info:Bold Type Books (2017), Edition: Reprint, 608 pages

Work Information

Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi (Author)

English (46)  Spanish (2)  All languages (48)
I learned so much from this book. I listened to it on Spotify while reading the YA version (still need to finish that--almost done), and I really liked doing it that way. Listening to it took me quite a long time, and I need a hard copy of this version to read again, highlight, look at footnotes, find and read primary sources referenced in the book. If you aren't quite sure where to start regarding learning about systemic racism, this is an excellent starting point.

"When we fight for humanity, we fight for ourselves." ( )
  ms_rowse | Jan 1, 2022 |
National Book Award Winner
  FUMCMoorestown | Nov 3, 2021 |
Monumental history book filled with truth and a ton of facts you never knew. We read this for our library's Anti-Racism Book Club (thanks to Brad McKenna, Tech Librarian) from Jan - Sept 2021. I'd love to take a full year college course featuring this as the text. In the Boston area, we are fortunate to have Dr. Kendi in residence at BU. We also "own" Cotton Mather and William Lloyd Garrison, two of the prime movers in the book, and their perspectives towards enslavement and abolition. The others are Thomas Jefferson (who wins The Most Hypocritical Award), W.E.B DuBois, and Dr. Angela Davis. I challenge anyone who opines that "Critical Race Theory" teaches children to hate themselves for being white to read this book. ( )
  froxgirl | Sep 24, 2021 |
It's quite difficult to rate a book this ambitious, that seems to have covered history in such a comprehensive manner. Much of it felt already obvious, the history already so routine — the Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemmings story, for example. I was astonished at how Kendi was able to make them boring! Perhaps in his attempt to simplify all of his anecdotes and characters and events into a singular dimension, then categorize each into one of his three buckets, Kendi evaded the complexity that makes history come to life.

I agree with his simple but essential premise — that people invent racist ideas to justify their exploitation — and I found his categorization of historical approaches to racial relations — into racist, assimilationist, antiracist philosophies — compelling, if flawed. It doesn't make for an interesting or nuanced discussion. In fact, it seems to completely fail to engage with historical figures in a fair way, in the context of their actions. An example of this is when Kendi criticizes a particular speech of Obama's or WE Dubois's as "racist" — which to Kendi, in short, means blaming black people for their place in society — without really explaining it. There were many other examples where Kendi assigns racist motivations simply because they fit his framework of the world without ever delving into the background of the events and individuals he judges. ( )
  Gadi_Cohen | Sep 22, 2021 |
This was a long book, made longer by the fact that it walks through American history, and I’m Canadian. But, my goodness. No wonder we see the division in the US these days. Racism has been a core part of American life for centuries. People today. No matter how well-meaning they are, can’t help but be influenced by the generations before them and the systems they’ve inherited. In the Epilogue, Kendi quotes W. E. B. Dubois, from an essay in 1935 - “Accordingly, for the last two decades, we have striven by book and periodical, by speech and appeal, by various dramatic methods of agitation, to put the essential facts before the American people. Today there can be no doubt that Americans know the facts; and yet they remain for the most part indifferent and unmoved.”That was 85 years ago, and it could have been written yesterday. I’m glad I read this book. #BlackLivesMatter. ( )
  DwaynesBookList | Sep 6, 2021 |

Kendi, Ibram X.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Piper, Christopher DontrellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Röckel, SusanneÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlatterer, HeikeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the lives they said don't matter.
Every historian writes in -- and is impacted by -- a precise historical moment.

A rising historian presents a masterful opus on the development of racist thought in America, using the stories of Cotton Mather, Thomas Jefferson, William Lloyd Garrison, W.E.B. Du Bois, and Angela Davis to reveal how racist ideas -- and the racist policies they support -- have become entrenched in American society.

Prologue

6. New Republicans
  7. 99.9 Percent the Same
  8. The Extraordinary Negro
Epilogue

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,245,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible