The Deception of the Emerald Ring

by Lauren Willig

Series: Pink Carnation (3)

19-year-old Letty Alsworthy and Lord Geoffrey Pinchingdale-Snipe marry quickly, but he flees to Ireland the night of his elopement. Letty tracks him down in Dublin, learn of his secret life as a spy and gets sucked into it herself.

I really like this series. They're quick, highly entertaining reads with well-drawn characters. ( )
  tsmom1219 | Feb 24, 2022 |
Harvard Grad student Eloise is still living in London snd pining over Colin Selwick whose aunt allowed her access to Napoleonic era family archives. Eloise is still searching for information on female spies of that era. In her searches she came across Letty Alsworthy. Letty's sister was being courted by a viscount who worked for the British War Office. However, Letty got wind of her sister's elopement plans, and tries to stop them in order to save her family from societal disgrace. In the attempt to stop her sister, Letty is kidnapped, unwillingly married, and takes a boat to Ireland chasing after her run away new husband. In doing so, Letty finds herself smack in the middle of the planning of an Irish revolt, French spies, and the league of the Pink Carnation, the successful British spy.

This was an ok read once the action picked up. However, I can do without all the romantic angst. The author does a nice job in her descriptions of the Napoleonic era society though. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Jan 29, 2021 |
First off, this book is way outside the zone of books that I normally read. I enjoyed the historical setting (1803 Ireland/London) and the characters. I really liked the development of the characters as well. The romance in this story was not off-putting or out of place and the characters always kept their heads when romantic moods struck them. They got understandably distracted a few times, but that was just realistic instead of having them completely ignore what had to be done instead.

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
This series is part The Scarlet Pimpernel and part romance novel. I wish it were MORE Scarlet Pimpernel and LESS romance novel, but what can you do?

Fun little women-spy romp around London and Ireland. ( )
  jennannej | Jul 13, 2017 |

Lauren Willigprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reading, KateReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my grandparents, with love.
A watched phone never rings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,163,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible