Murder in an Irish Village by Carlene…

Murder in an Irish Village (edition 2016)

by Carlene O'Connor (Author), Caroline Lennon (Narrator), Llc Dreamscape Media (Publisher)

In the small village of Kilbane, County Cork, Ireland, Natalie's Bistro has always been warm and welcoming. Nowadays twenty-two-year-old Siobhan O'Sullivan runs the family bistro named for her mother, along with her five siblings, after the death of their parents in a car crash almost a year ago. It's been a rough year for the O'Sullivans, but it's about to get rougher. One morning, as they're opening the bistro, they discover a man seated at a table with a pair of hot pink barber scissors protruding from his chest. With the local garda suspecting the O'Sullivans, and their business in danger of being shunned. It's up to feisty redheaded Siobh? to solve the crime and save her beloved brood.… (more)
Member:sweetiegherkin
Title:Murder in an Irish Village
Authors:Carlene O'Connor (Author)
Other authors:Caroline Lennon (Narrator), Llc Dreamscape Media (Publisher)
Info:Dreamscape Media, LLC (2016)
Tags:fiction, mystery, murder mystery, Ireland, family, family relations, romance, detective, detective fiction, amateur detective

Murder in an Irish Village by Carlene O'Connor

At 22, Siobhan O'Sullivan is in charge of her five siblings after the death of their parents in a motor accident a year earlier. When the brother of the drunk driver who resulted in said accident shows up in their small village, he causes quite a stir -- and ends up murdered right in the O'Sullivan's residence/business. With her brother James seen as the most likely suspect by the police, Siobhan is determined to find the real killer.

This was a fun gem to have stumbled upon rather randomly. The characters were quirky and richly drawn, as was the town as a whole. It felt like being transported right into this "Irish village." There was a dash of romance, definitely lots of family drama (of various sorts), and there were certainly comedic moments as well (particularly with Siobhan's brood of younger siblings). Sure, I correctly guessed who the killer was pretty early on, but there were enough other suspects thrown around that I wasn't 100 percent sure until the actual reveal and the story was rich enough that it didn't matter so much anyhow.

The audiobook narrator was excellent at presenting the assorted characters (including one American) and I really enjoyed the extra tracks on this version that included background music at various points in the story. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Jan 14, 2020 |
A great start for a series. Will be reading more. ( )
  nlb1050 | Jul 13, 2019 |
A classic cozy mystery set in a charming Irish village. When a murder victim turns up at Naomi’s Bistro, eldest daughter Siobhan O’Sullivan sets out to clear her family of suspicion by taking up her own investigation. Of course there's a handsome garda on the case. Not to mention a handsome American visitor who claims to be there tracing his roots. This has enough humor and wit mixed in with the suspense and romance to make it an entertaining read. I imagine it would also make a great book to listen to, so I may try the audiobook version of the next in the series. ( )
1 vote wandaly | Mar 4, 2019 |
The O'Sullivan Six have had a tough year. Their parents were killed by a drunk driver. Twenty-two year old Siobhan has given up her scholarship to University in Dublin to remain in Kilbane in County Cork to run Naomi's Bistro and take care of her 4 younger brothers and sisters while her older brother deals with his alcoholism. Things are going okay, until Nial the brother of the drunk driver who is in jail, shows up in the Village. He tells Siobhan that he has proof that someone else caused the accident that killed her parents and tries to extort money from her for the proof. She refuses, but when he turns up dead in the bistro one morning, her brother James is arrested and charged with the murder. Siobhan and her siblings take matters in their own hands when the feel that the police are not going to find the real killer. When everyone in the village seems suspicious the O'Sullivan's become the bad guys when they accuse many people of being the murderer. When someone else turns up dead, they know that it could not have been James as he is in jail. Siobhan is not only dealing with trying to prove James innocent, but the owner of the building where Naomi's is located, is trying to sell it out from under them as well as figuring out her feelings about a couple of gentlemen in the mix. A fun adventure where the whole family gets involved in solving the mystery. I will definitely look for more books by Carlene O'Connor. A great cozy mystery that would be enjoyed by many.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
This was okay. A wonderful reader. I loved the Irish accent. The story had some holes, some places where I didn't understand what the characters were thinking. Satisfactory solution. The language made me feel like it was written by an American who loves Ireland. I would have preferred an Irish native. But I did enjoy it all the way to the end. ( )
  njcur | Feb 4, 2019 |
Dedicated to Dermot O'Rourke. I wish you were around so I could thank you in person. I still have the book you gave me —365 Days of Celtic Myths and I used portions of it in this novel. I can still see your infectious smile and hear your boisterous laugh.
To all my Irish ancestors and the people of Ireland.
Siobhan O'Sullivan hurried through lush green fields, adjusting every so often for the bumps and dips of the terrain, imagining that from high above, Kilbane, County Cork, Ireland, must look like an ocean of green, rendering her a mere speck at sea.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,626,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible