Downton Abbey: The Complete Scripts, Season Three

by Julian Fellowes

Engross yourself in Julian Fellowes' multi-award winning drama with the full script of Season Three, which includes previously unseen dialogue and drama as well as two 8-page color photo inserts. Downton Abbey fever is stronger than ever! The most successful British drama of our time continues to captivate viewers with its riveting storylines, stunning costumes, and unforgettable performances by its cast. With Downton Abbey's script from Season Three--which was the most dramatic yet--fans can go behind-the-scenes to learn all of the secrets. Offering readers the opportunity to read the work in more detail and study the characters, pace and themes in depth, the scripts include an introduction, exclusive commentary, full color photos, and additional material from Julian Fellowes. Readers will be given invaluable insight into how Fellowes researched and crafted the amazing world of Downton Abbey. A must for lovers of Downtown Abbey, the scripts will enhance viewers' experience with the award-winning show that continues to enchant its audience.… (more)

Required reading for fans of Downton Abbey. I enjoy the deleted scenes but my favorite has been Julian Fellowes commentary. ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
Another script. Season 3 of 'Downton Abbey' was a bit of a breaking point for some because of the departure of some characters and overall series decay. This script follows the path of the first two: just the scripts, no pictures but with footnotes filled with stories, anecdotes, and tidbits of trivia from Fellows.

Again, it's not really worth your time if you haven't watched (although I guess for some it might be preferable to read the script). I enjoyed most of the parts that were about the show and wished there were more notes or notes on specific things. These scripts were also quite handy when reading about what Fellows intended (or sometimes what changed/what the actor thought of these particular lines, etc.).

It's best when the footnotes are about the show. Some of the historical context/counterpart references were quite interesting but sometimes Fellows could go off the rails a bit. It's not meant to be a history book nor do we really need to know such details in certain places. He does come across as quite pompous sometimes and it's a reminder that he's not all that far off from the people he portrays in the show. Which is not necessarily a bad thing (as he would presumably have an understanding that many do not or would know who to talk to to get certain details right), but your mileage may vary on this.

That said, it was interesting to read and I got more info about the show. It's a pity there aren't more scripts it seems (none at my library and none on Amazon that I could see).

Borrow from the library unless you're a diehard fan/can get this cheap. It was fun to read but I had to cram it in because someone else put a hold on this one and I have to return it soon. It might be fun to follow along while watching too. ( )
  HoldMyBook | Feb 11, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,397,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible