How To Have A Good Day: The Essential…

How To Have A Good Day: The Essential Toolkit for a Productive Day at Work… (edition 2016)

by Caroline Webb (Author)

"In How to Have a Good Day, Caroline Webb, business consultant and former partner at powerhouse McKinsey and Co., brings together the findings on behavioral economics and neuroscience--subjects that have led to dozens of bestselling books over the last decade--to show us how we can use these revolutionary new findings to improve how we work. Organized around seven factors that determine whether we have a good day at work, Webb offers us specific tools that we can use based on what we now know about how our brains work, and she shows us how we can incorporate them into our conversations, meetings, and projects in a way that will increase productivity, confidence, and enjoyment. Filled with stories of people who have used the insights Webb reveals to improve the quality of their decision-making and work lives, and drawing on cutting-edge ideas from the latest research in neuroscience and psychology, How to Have a Good Day is the book people wanted to read when they finished Blink and Thinking Fast and Slow, and were looking for practical ways to apply the new insights they had learned to their own lives and careers. From the time we wake up, Webb reveals the tools and practices that will help us to set our direction and priorities, organize our time, do our best work, adapt to uncertainty, make better decisions, improve our conversations, unleash productivity, and sustain our energy. In essence, she offers us a Good Day playbook, showing us how to sharpen our minds and increase our confidence so that we make sustained progress, resist our tendency to procrastinate, resolve conflict, and maintain control of our day and bounce back from the inevitable setbacks"--"In How to Have a Good Day, Caroline Webb, business consultant and former partner at powerhouse McKinsey and Co., brings together the findings on behavioral economics and neuroscience--subjects that have led to dozens of bestselling books over the last decade--to show us how we can use these revolutionary new findings to improve how we work. Organized around seven factors that determine whether we have a good day at work, Webb offers us specific tools that we can use based on what we now know about how our brains work, and she shows us how we can incorporate them into our conversations, meetings, and projects in a way that will increase productivity, confidence, and enjoyment"--… (more)
Member:yomisugi
Title:How To Have A Good Day: The Essential Toolkit for a Productive Day at Work and Beyond
Authors:Caroline Webb (Author)
Info:Macmillan (2016), Edition: Main Market, 369 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Non-fiction, Psychology, Personal Development, Kindle

How to Have a Good Day: Harness the Power of Behavioral Science to Transform Your Working Life by Caroline Webb

We all want to have a good day, but we also have our share of bad ones. Those days where we don't get done what we set out to do, we feel like we are spinning our wheels. when we feel anxious and stressed out and don't navigate our relationships well. We feel low energy and give up when we see no path forward. But what if there was a way to have a good day or at least make the most of the ones we have? in How to Have a Good Day, executive coach and management consultant Caroline Webb draws on the insights of behavioral science to give us seven-building blocks for a good day. These include priorities, productivity, relationships, thinking, influence, resilience, energy. These building blocks are the components of what people describe as a good day.

In her introduction, Webb probes the components that make up 'a good day.' This gives shape to the rest of her book (the seven building blocks described above). Webb draws on "rigorous scientific evidence from psychology, behavioral economics and neuroscience." Her purpose is to "translate all that science into step-by-step techniques for imporving your day-to-day life (5). She does this by presenting research, giving practical advice and sharing stories. Her focus throughout the book is on the business world. So are her examples. However a broad application of these principles can be made to other aspects of life.

Each section of this book is one of the building blocks of a good day. Part one is about setting priorities and being intentional in work and life. Part two discusses productivity. This is the longest section of the book and Webb covers the importance of 'single tasking,' planning deliberate down time, overcoming overload and beating procrastination. Part three discusses how to manage relationships well. Part four probes how to be more creative, wise and intelligent at work. Part five explores how to influence and maximize impact on others. Part six describes what resilience looks like in the face of setbacks, hard times and annoyances. Part seven puts the pieces together, and describes how to approach live with energy and enthusiasm. A postscript includes three appendixes with suggestions for how to have a good meeting, how to be good at email and how to reinvigorate your routine.

The whole book is helpful. I especially liked the productivity section and the relationships and influence sections. Chapter four, on single tasking explodes the myth of multi-tasking. Webb argues convincingly that though multi-tasking makes your day more interesting, actually reduces productivity (72). While some people (a tiny single digit percentage of people) are 'supertaskers' able to process multiple tasks at the same time, the vast majority of us work slower when our attention is divided among too many things. Webb points out the irony that "the people who are most confident of their ablity to multitask, are in fact the worst at it" (73). So Webb offers practical suggestions for 'batching tasks and zoning your days. In the relationship and influence sections, Webb offers a number of practical suggestions for handling difficult people and motivating others through positive communication.

This is one of those business self-help books. But don't let that turn you off. Because Webb roots her practical suggestions in research, there is substance to her message. This isn't fluffy. It also isn't super technical (she explains her terms and a glossary also gives working definitions of psychological terms. Her seven domains are more comprehensive and inclusive than your 'seven habits'type books. The twenty one chapters each offer several suggestions for habits, though some of these stack on top of each other (i.e. chapter five's discussion of deliberate downtime and mindful practices is reinforced in the section on resilience).

I give this book four stars and think that this is a helpful for leader, managers, executives, or really anyone that wants more good days. Of course each section of the book can delve deeper than Webb in fact does (she includes suggestions for further reading). but I have no real complaints. This is a great book. Having finished it, my day is already better and there is a lot worth practicing here.

Note: I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for my honest review ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
This is definitely a great general purpose book along the lines of book like Don't Sweat the Small Stuff. It won’t answer all your questions but will give you a tremendous amount of new tools. Books like this have an overwhelming amount of information and an abundance of new and good ideas all of which if you can implement just one or two of the ideas will indeed help you improve your day. It's a great "personal development" tool, and not a self-help book of any kind. It is good if you can keep a book around like this, so that you can start to practice more and more of the ideas. It is a book that encourages cognitive changes and the ability to learn how to think differently and being aware of your thoughts and creating self-awareness. The author does a great job of related and using examples of everyday scenarios and may be designed more to executive or management level positions and doesn't really apply to individuals who don't have a lot of autonomy or authority in the way they do things or management of their time. If you are looking to get the best out of yourself and enjoy self-improvement then you will definitely enjoy this book, but it will require either a slow read or multiple reads to get the best out of it and the most out of your money and yourself. ( )
  Tom_Westlake | Jan 27, 2017 |
Imagine one book that distills about 25 of the best business/productivity books out there. This is the one. Though it doesn't cover new ground or offer research/insights you've never heard before, this covers everything you need to know to have a good day of work. There are dozens of practical ideas on topics ranging from relationships and influence to resilience and priority setting. There's also bonus content on how to have a good meeting, how to do email better and more. If you want to go deeper on any of the topics there's a curated list of books corresponding to each topic. One of the most useful books I've read in awhile. There's probably 10-20 ideas that are difference-makers for me. I've already started putting them into practice and I'm seeing results. Recommended and well worth your time. ( )
  angiestahl | Jul 23, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,598,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible