The Spider's Web by Peter Tremayne

The Spider's Web

by Peter Tremayne

In 7th century Ireland, Sister Fidelma investigates the death of a Celtic chieftain. A blind deaf-mute monk has been charged with murder, but the sister thinks he is innocent.

English (7)  Dutch (1)  All languages (8)
Well researched and well written mystery about a life and time little known. The dialogue, liturgical quotes and old Irish place names give this series splendid authenticity matched only matched by Fidelma's logical processes for solving crimes. Sherlock beware! ( )
  jamespurcell | Jan 25, 2017 |
After adjudicating a land case, Sister Fidelma is asked to go to Araglin, where the disputants came from, to ensure proper procedure is followed in the investigation of the murder of the local chieftain. The locals are convinced that the victim's sister's adopted son is the culprit, but he is blind, deaf, and mute. Could he really have committed the crime?

Another intriguing mystery. Fidelma is forced into awareness of her feelings for Eadulf when he eats some poisonous mushrooms. I still find the author's attitude to Catholicism dubious. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Mar 24, 2015 |
One of the best in the Sister Fidlema series, at least among the first five which I have read. ( )
  BillC. | Dec 7, 2014 |
Loved the history and the story. It felt pretty natural and organic to me. ( )
  TnTexas | Mar 8, 2014 |
I really enjoy the Sister Fidelma mystery series. I am trying to read them in order but have trouble finding them as such. You really feel a part of the investigation as small clues grow in importance.

I deducted 0.5 stars simply because the final reveal seemed contrived in its entirety. I had a reasonable idea as to whodunit but her reveal did not stop there and I felt some of her deductions were iffy. It did not take away from an excellent story and a satisfying read. ( )
  Lynxear | Dec 4, 2013 |
Thunder was rumbling around the high bald peaks of the mountains which spread from the central summit of Maoldomhnach's Hill, from which they took their name.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,854,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible