Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, 2) by Leigh…

Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, 2) (edition 2018)

by Leigh Bardugo (Author)

Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off a heist so daring even they didn't think they'd survive. But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they're right back to fighting for their lives. Double-crossed and badly weakened, the crew is low on resources, allies, and hope. As powerful forces from around the world descend on Ketterdam to root out the secrets of the dangerous drug known as jurda parem, old rivals and new enemies emerge to challenge Kaz's cunning and test the team's fragile loyalties. A war will be waged on the city's dark and twisting streets--a battle for revenge and redemption that will decide the fate of the Grisha world. --… (more)
Member:petrichor8
Title:Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, 2)
Authors:Leigh Bardugo (Author)
Info:Square Fish (2018), Edition: Reprint, 576 pages
Collections:To read

Work Information

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

English (129)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (131)
oh my god this book ( )
  alexisxnicole | May 12, 2022 |
fantastic addition to the YA genre!!!!!!!!!!! ( )
  profpenguin | May 3, 2022 |
I hesitated to read this one for a while -- the first one was such a great Heist book, but that ending! and I knew there were so many characters and so much detail in that last book -- and I have the worst memory, so I thought I wouldn't be able to catch up. Well, Leigh Bardugo is a master at reminding you of the previous journey without harping on about it or talking down to her reader, and this book just flows: heist after heist, foiled, defeated, betrayed, begin again, bigger picture, bigger picture, and on and on. The action never lets up, but the characters continue to grow and flourish.

Beautiful. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
I had to start reading this one the moment I finished “Six of Crows” because AHHH that ending! Leigh Bardugo, you are the master of suspense! Things are not so good for our Crows, with Inesh captured and Kaz, Matias, Jesper and Waylan trying to get her out while Nina suffers through terrible withdrawal. We got a lot more backstory in this one. I particularly felt for Waylan, and the revelations we learned. I connected with his character somewhat in the first book, but I totally loved him here.

And oh, the ships. I could get into the plotting, which is like the most complex Swiss clock of a thing anyone has ever tried to pick apart, but it’s just amazing, and I’d waste three paragraphs fangirling. It’s the ships here that leave you pining, make you swoon, and break your heart. Matias with his stiff Fierden heart that is slowly warming to Nina. Kaz and Inesh who you wonder if because of their traumas they’ll ever be able to touch. And Waylan and Jes, who are just too sweet for words. Just the right amount of shipper-goodness included. Loved this book, and really hope to read another one set in this world because Leigh Bardugo gets better and better with each one!

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
Not bad, very engaging. I thought [the death of a major character toward the end and the way of dealing with Pekka (hide spoiler)] were way heavy-handed and unnecessary, and there was no real payoff for either of these (spoiler) plot points...

The main enemy of Kaz is Pekka Rollins... who is basically doing the exact same thing as Kaz. No one really changes that much in this and the lack of dynamic characters in a book so clearly focusing on character development (entire passages about just what a particular character feels about an imagined outcome) a bit irritating. Liked it all the same. ( )
  chuff | Feb 28, 2022 |
To Holly and Sarah, who helped me build;
Noa, who made sure the walls stayed standing;
Jo, who kept me standing too.
Retvenko leaned against the bar and tucked his nose into his dirty shot glass.
But wasn't that what every girl dreamed? That she'd wake up and find herself a princess? Or blessed with magical powers and a grand destiny? Maybe there were people who lived those lives. Maybe this girl was one of them. But what about the rest of us? What about the nobodies and the nothings, the invisible girls? We learn to hold our heads as if we wear crowns. We learn to wring magic from the ordinary. That was how you survived when you weren't chosen, when there was no royal blood in your veins. When the world owed you nothing, you demanded something of it anyway. (460)

Crows bent on revenge
devise intricate plan for
sting operation.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,141,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible