The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 3: Commercial Suicide

by Kieron Gillen

Other authors: Kate Brown (Illustrator), Leila Del Duca (Illustrator), Brandon Graham (Illustrator), Stephanie Hans (Illustrator), Tula Lotay (Illustrator)1 more, Jamie Mckelvie (Illustrator)

Series: The Wicked & The Divine (12-17)

After the detonation of FANDEMONIUM the gods-as-pop-stars of THE WICKED + THE DIVINE try living in the long dark shadow. Team WicDiv are joined by a stellar cast of guest artists to put the spotlight of each of the gods. The multiple Eisner-award nominated series continues in the only way it knows how: darker, weirder, faster. Don't worry. It's going to be okay.… (more)

English (30)  Swedish (1)  All languages (31)
My review of this book can be found on my YouTube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Feb 23, 2022 |
Scattered, but I guess that's expected with 6 issues, 6 artists. Story is still great, but some of the art wasn't for me. ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
This book was definitely not in the same league as the previous two. Nothing much happened to further the plot.

We did get a little more spotlight on other gods like Tara, Woden, Amaterasu and Sakhmet. I can’t say I really liked any of them but I definitely sympathized a lot with Tara. Her story also has a subtext of cyber bullying, online trolling and how that would affect the mental state of teenagers which seemed very realistic. But I definitely didn’t like what happened to her. We also get to know a little more about who is committing the murders but the motivations are still unclear.

The artwork in this book was a lot different and I now realize it’s due to the guest artists. Though I enjoyed the coloring in Amaterasu’s panel set in Japan, I really didn’t like the style that was used for Sakhmet’s story.

Overall, I am not very impressed with this volume. But I’m definitely going to continue with the series coz I’m totally invested now. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
So apparently I’m not the only person left with a rather indistinct impression of this collection. As much as I like that they experimented with a slew of guest artists and told a bunch of side stories, the lack of cohesive plot definitely failed to impress. Hopefully the next installation goes back to actually telling the story that the series set out to tell, or I might be writing off another graphic novel series for failing to live up to expectations. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
As the Pantheon begins to come to grips with the fact that they are under attack and morn the losses among them, Ananke is busy turning the various factions against each other. She has Woden as her catspaw and is using his powers to build a fearsome machine whose purpose is unknown.

The death of Laura and Innana have both been laid at the feet of Bahamet. The Morrigan has been captured for the purpose of bait to lure him out of the Underground. Meanwhile the Norns are struggling to find their purpose in the Pantheon. They have a deep desire to wake up humanity to the bullshit of the gods but they are met instead with worship.

Finally, at the end of the volume we see a bar booking an act with the name of Persephone. Perhaps Laura is about to reenter? ( )
  Juva | Jan 21, 2021 |

Gillen, Kieronprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, KateIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Del Duca, LeilaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graham, BrandonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hans, StephanieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lotay, TulaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mckelvie, JamieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,229,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible