Paper Girls Volume 1

by Brian K. Vaughan (Writer), Cliff Chiang (Artist)

Other authors: Jared K. Fletcher (Letters), Matt Wilson (Colors)

Series: Paper Girls (1-5 collected)

In the early hours after Halloween on 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and supernatural mysteries collide in this series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood -- back cover.

There's a lot I like, but 5 issues in and I'm really struggling to follow anything that's going on... ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
I've just come to the end of the sixth and final volume of Paper Girls (no spoilers) and I'm posting my review here for anyone thinking of picking up the series. It's a fun sci-fi frolic in the company of four teenage girls plucked from their paper round in the late Eighties. Extremely fast-paced, Paper Girls bounces from set-piece to cliffhanger via surreal spectacle drenched in pop-flavoured pinks, oranges and greens. The flightiness is anchored by a growing friendship between the four leads, and a romance subplot that lends the story heart.

While both plot and character may feel a little too lightly sketched at times, there are subtle shifts in personality to enjoy and an emerging, melancholy theme about giving up on the illusion of control over one's life. The overall impression is something like an art-house movie wrapped inside the trappings of a nostalgic Spielbergian blockbuster. ( )
  benskinner | May 31, 2021 |
It was weird. I don't think I understood what was going on. But the artwork was good. ( )
  Vanessa_Menezes | Mar 17, 2021 |
Full disclosure: I received a free review copy of this book from Net Galley. This review was originally published at Full of Words.

Paper Girls feels like a forgotten 1980s adventure that piles on the subversive twists. They don’t make movies like that anymore, let alone ones this weird.

I think the technical term here is “box office poison,” and yet I’d love to see Paper Girls up on the big screen. It begs for the kind of lovingly nostalgic adaptation that could only work with modern special effects and sensibilities.

Erin is a paper girl in the small town of Stony Stream, Ohio. Her story begins on the morning of November 1st, which is known in her profession as “Hell Night” thanks to all the teenaged trick-or-treaters still humming on stolen sugar highs.

When Erin runs into three other girls on the same route, they team up to stay safe during the night, but run into something far more sinister than marauding teenagers. Things only get weirder from there.

If you enjoy Vaughan’s work on Saga, you’ll recognize the same bizarre sensibilities here. What starts off like a throwback to Spielberg at the height of the eighties quickly collides with Vaughan’s surrealist sci-fi tendencies, and shit gets weird.

I’m still not entirely sure what is going on in the story at the end of the first volume, but it definitely grabbed me and made me want to keep reading. As soon as I finished issue five, I bought the next issue at full price and am seriously considering subscribing to the series on Comixology.

My only real criticism of the book is that the girls don’t get much character development. Erin is a good girl. Mac is a cynical rebel. KJ and Tiffany are… present? Somehow the book still works despite hanging on archetypical characters with little to no depth.

That said, that lack of depth could be a major turnoff if you aren’t a fan of Vaughan’s brand of weirdness. My hope is that future issues flesh out the characters a bit more, but either way I’m hooked. ( )
  unsquare | Feb 16, 2021 |
I'd have liked a little less of the science fiction weirdness, but Cliff Chiang's gorgeous, incredible art, and Vaughn's talent for dropping hooks to come back to later and stringing things along more than compensate. Really great. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Writerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chiang, CliffArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Fletcher, Jared K.Letterssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, MattColorssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Is this...?
This volume collects the comics #1-5.

From BRIAN K. VAUGHAN, #1 New York Times bestselling writer of SAGA and THE PRIVATE EYE, and CLIFF CHIANG, legendary artist of Wonder Woman, comes the first volume of an all-new ongoing adventure. In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and otherworldly mysteries collide in this smash-hit series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood. Collects PAPER GIRLS #1-5

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,217,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible