Paper Girls Volume 1 by Brian K Vaughan

Paper Girls Volume 1 (edition 2016)

by Brian K Vaughan (Author)

Member:woodlibraryteen
Title:Paper Girls Volume 1
Authors:Brian K Vaughan (Author)
Info:Image Comics (2016), 144 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading, To read, Favorites

Paper Girls Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan (Writer)

Paper Girls, Vol. 1
Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang. Image, $9.99 trade paper (144p) ISBN978-1-63215- 674-7
Like some great 1980s teen sci-fi/horror cult classic, this aggressively awesome new series from Vaughan (Saga) and Chiang (Wonder Woman) throws alien invasion and time travel plots together and steeps the whole thing in suburban angst and atti tude. It’s Halloween night, 1988, in a drowsy Ohio neighborhood, and Erin Tieng has just joined up with three of her fellow 12-year-old papergirls on bicycles. Riding the quiet streets like the world’s mildest gang, they try to get their routes done without too much hassle from cops or loser guys in Freddie Kruger costumes. But complications arise, including mummy-like scavengers lurching around the dark streets and a wormhole over a football field that’s disgorging flying dinosaurs with laser spear—wielding riders. Vaughan’s spiky writing and Chiang’s vivid, dramatically skewed art make for a potent mix, particularly in the darkly comic dream sequences that punctuate the action. This is that rare period series that lets its references (Dukakis, MacGyver) slip seamlessly into the action. (Apr.)

Publishers Weekly , 4/11/2016, Vol. 263 Issue 15, p47-47, 1/5p; (AN 114480304) ( )
  AmandaBarn | Jul 15, 2019 |
So, I ran into a friend who was on his way to the beach with his tween daughters. We started talking about libraries and their resources. It seems one can now borrow and read comic books, on line, of course, for reading on one's tablet or phone. Naturally, I had to check it out. I have no idea why I chose this particular one. I don't read comic books, but what the hell?

We have here four 12-year old girls who have paper routes. They're out on Halloween in 1988 and weird things begin happening. We get monsters, people flying around on pterodactyls, some space capsules, things blowing up, and space/time travel. After a while, they find themselves in 2016, meeting future versions of themselves. There are hints of the heretical, rapture B.S. that some Evangelicals peddle so as to separate the gullible from their money. There's a lot of potty-mouth talk. I really didn't understand a lot, but it vaguely reminded me of A Wrinkle in Time, which I had just read. That is, holes in reality through which one falls into a different reality...or something. It was fun enough, I suppose, and didn't take too long to read. As a bonus, I finally realized some benefit to having that iPad I seem to have acquired a while back.

lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
okay, pro tip? if you want me to actually give a shit about a character, do NOT introduce them by having them call someone else a f***tt and an "AIDS patient" as an insult as their first two sentences. not even if it's called out by another character.

also, if you want me to give a shit about a graphic novel, don't do that in the first 20 pages, or better yet, at all.

I mean, I was kind of really unimpressed with the rest of the story as well (it was chaotic, nothing really made sense, and I don't think any of these girls act like they're 12), but that was a bad introduction and kinda ruined the whole thing pretty early.

I'm actually surprised I didn't like this because the concept sounds awesome and I dig time travel stories, but nah. ( )
  runtimeregan | Jun 12, 2019 |
I've previously read this as part of a larger collection (issues 1-10) so I'll just copy what I said there:

I was quite put off by aspects of the beginning of this story, but once the SF-type weirdness started kicking in, I was much more willing to accept 12 year old girls being little shits.

Four newspaper delivery girls, out the morning after Halloween, end up together as it starts looking like the apocalypse. Needs a lot of either suspension of disbelief, or a complete willingness to just accept whatever comes. And a liking of twisty twisty inter-personal politics will help too. ( )
  fred_mouse | Jun 9, 2019 |
I have heard a lot of good things about “Saga” creator Brian K. Vaughan, so when his new graphic novel “Paper Girls: Vol.1” came out, I decided to give it a try.
Well, let’s just say I didn’t love it.
I loved the feel of the art, which was very reminiscent of the 1980s and fit the story really well.
It really popped and captured the spirit of the time the story takes place.
However, I never felt like I connected with or was invested in the characters.
When the plot hinges on caring about a character who could be in danger, such a connection is pretty important.
This isn’t to say that some readers won’t love it. I could see where it could have a massive following, but I am not sure it’s for me.
For a full review, visit www.acdailybytes.com. ( )
  kd_lawson | May 30, 2019 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Writerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chiang, CliffArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Fletcher, Jared K.Letterssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, MattColorssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Is this...?
This volume collects the comics #1-5.

From BRIAN K. VAUGHAN, #1 New York Times bestselling writer of SAGA and THE PRIVATE EYE, and CLIFF CHIANG, legendary artist of Wonder Woman, comes the first volume of an all-new ongoing adventure. In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and otherworldly mysteries collide in this smash-hit series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood. Collects PAPER GIRLS #1-5

In the early hours after Halloween on 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and supernatural mysteries collide in this series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood -- back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,429,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible