Paper Girls Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

Paper Girls Vol. 1 (edition 2016)

by Brian K. Vaughan (Writer), Cliff Chiang (Artist.), Matthew Wilson (Colorist.), Jared K. Fletcher (Letterer.)

Member:aidanshenkman
Title:Paper Girls Vol. 1
Authors:Brian K. Vaughan
Other authors:Cliff Chiang (Artist.), Matthew Wilson (Colorist.), Jared K. Fletcher (Letterer.)
Info:Berkeley, CA : Image Comics, 2016.
Collections:Comic Books, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:comics

Paper Girls Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan (Writer)

I've previously read this as part of a larger collection (issues 1-10) so I'll just copy what I said there:

I was quite put off by aspects of the beginning of this story, but once the SF-type weirdness started kicking in, I was much more willing to accept 12 year old girls being little shits.

Four newspaper delivery girls, out the morning after Halloween, end up together as it starts looking like the apocalypse. Needs a lot of either suspension of disbelief, or a complete willingness to just accept whatever comes. And a liking of twisty twisty inter-personal politics will help too. ( )
  fred_mouse | Jun 9, 2019 |
I have heard a lot of good things about “Saga” creator Brian K. Vaughan, so when his new graphic novel “Paper Girls: Vol.1” came out, I decided to give it a try.
Well, let’s just say I didn’t love it.
I loved the feel of the art, which was very reminiscent of the 1980s and fit the story really well.
It really popped and captured the spirit of the time the story takes place.
However, I never felt like I connected with or was invested in the characters.
When the plot hinges on caring about a character who could be in danger, such a connection is pretty important.
This isn’t to say that some readers won’t love it. I could see where it could have a massive following, but I am not sure it’s for me.
For a full review, visit www.acdailybytes.com. ( )
  kd_lawson | May 30, 2019 |
It's a bit all over the place for my tastes. I've liked much of Vaughan's output until now, but there were may too many sci-fi tropes crammed in here for me to handle.

If I were still buying single issues, I'm not sure I would have stuck it out this far. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Paper Girls has been described as Stranger Things with a feminist slant, and this is pretty true, though more sci-fi than horror. A group of pre-teen and teenage girls deliver papers in their small town where nothing ever happens - until it does. One early morning while riding their route, they are robbed by strange men who wrap their faces like mummies. They go to retrieve their stolen property, only to find that the story gets much weirder from there.

The artwork in Papergirls is amazing, particularly the coloring. Somehow the colorist has managed to embrace the neon, blinding colors of the 80's with the eerie, dim-lit pre-dawn light of early mornings. The effect is stunning.

The story is intriguing, but I've finally been able to identify what bothers me about Vaughan's stories. The stories are excellent, but often feel too vast to be contained in the stories. I would get invested, and then, oh, it's over. Sci-fi is an intense genre, with twists and turns, and condensing it into slim volumes like Papergirls leaves the reader feeling vaguely unsatisfied, even though the story was great.

Despite that, the references to pop culture in the 80's, along with the vague hints at the world the girls have inadvertently stumbled into, is intriguing and hopefully will continue to develop as the story goes on. ( )
  kittyjay | Feb 28, 2019 |
Glad I have Vol. 2 ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Writerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chiang, CliffArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Fletcher, Jared K.Letterssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, MattColorssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Is this...?
This volume collects the comics #1-5.

From BRIAN K. VAUGHAN, #1 New York Times bestselling writer of SAGA and THE PRIVATE EYE, and CLIFF CHIANG, legendary artist of Wonder Woman, comes the first volume of an all-new ongoing adventure. In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and otherworldly mysteries collide in this smash-hit series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood. Collects PAPER GIRLS #1-5

In the early hours after Halloween on 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and supernatural mysteries collide in this series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood -- back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,602,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible