Dracula

by James Adams

1321,306,608 (4)None

4.5 stars
I thought this performance was by far one of the best I have ever heard.The characterization of a "stellar cast" is no understatement.

I went to check out the work by each and every one of the narrators. Tim Curry narrates the series of unfortunate events and he is fantastic at it and Simon Vance narrates the Bond series, which I'm also listening now and he is also an excellent narrator.

I must confess that I didn't really love the story itself. Not because it wasn't written nicely but rather because vampires are so damn overused in our day and age. Dracula is so familiar, so often used in literature and movies, that I thought his original story a bit disappointing. Had I read the book only, I would find the constant change of perspective annoying and difficult to keep up with. On the audio version of course, this was the best thing: the change of narration, voiced by such brilliant narrators added so much to the overall experience that my book and audiobook rating are one whole star apart. The story is not as terrifying I would have anticipated but again I attribute this to the fact of the familiarity of the whole vampire theme. The legend of a man that drinks blood is of course terrible and I want to visit the infamous count's castle one day...

I simply cannot praise this enough. If you haven't read this classic horror story, pick up the audiobook! You are in for a treat!

P.S: I got this for free back in october as part of the whispesync promotion, perhaps they would repeat the offer this year too.
  asthepageturns | Jun 13, 2019 |
Awful female voice actors.

Dracula is a masterpiece, but the narrators are another story. The male voice actors are fine. Some are great, others are OK. Unfortunately most of the material is read too fast, which takes away from the experience. The real problem are the female voice actors. They are simply unbearable. They read in an monotone drone that sounds like a flight attendant announcement, plus they make the stupidest voices when they try to imitate men. I was incredibly excited to read this full cast version, but the female voice actors just ruined it all for me.
Whoever cast the female voices should be flogged. They are the worst narrators I ever heard so far. Whoever supervised this recording should also be flogged. Somebody should have told the narrators to slow down.
  lapomelzi | May 4, 2013 |

Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malcolm, GraemeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,306,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible