The Final Life by Andrew Mowere

The Final Life

by Andrew Mowere

721,704,533 (4.5)None

I found this book to be quite well written.
A few spelling and grammar mistakes here and there, but the overall writing of the story held my interest the whole way through.

I really enjoyed how the relationship between Glint and Azrael develops throughout the time they spend together.
I enjoyed how Azrael is mysterious - is he good? Is he bad? We are never quite sure, even right at the end of the book. ( )
1 vote daleala | May 14, 2016 |
I am a fervent reader of this book's genre, and the story itself was somewhat original. My biggest problem with it was the awkward reveal of the world's magic system. Other reviewers have said things like the book has a dreamlike quality. I would have to disagree. I believe there is a difference between dreamlike and vague. While my criticism of the telling of the backstory and of the world's magic system stem from being too straight forward (i.e., too much telling and not enough showing), often the prose describing the action created uncertainty and, therefore, vagueness. There were also many technical errors which need to be addressed. Poor editing is solved fairly quickly with diligence.

Let me explain further my objection to the magic system. I am a great admirer of Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen." I have suggested that series to friends and have heard the complaint that Erickson is too long winded and vague about his magic system. But he builds it over thousands of pages of different plots and characters and settings.

Let me say, too, that some authors are able to use vagueness to their and, by extension, their readers' advantage. Two examples which come to mind are Clive Barker and H. P. Lovecraft. While not in the same genre, both authors use vagueness to whet the imagination of their readers. Examples, Barker's world-building is left vague in "Imagica" and "Weaveworld" to make them larger than Barker has space to explain. In other words, he paints in broad strokes, allowing the reader's imagination fill in the finer details. Lovecraft does a similar thing in "The White Ship." He mentions the names of fantastical islands that remain unvisited save in the mind of the reader. ( )
1 vote rwader | Feb 17, 2016 |
The boy woke with a start, slamming his head into the slanted roof above him painfully.
I believe that a man's deepest point is his heart.

When young Glint reaches the essential success and awakens to the energies present within him, he looks forward to a place for him in the warrior’s guild Quicksilver. This aspiration is cut short by a blade of blood, and his life is turned upside down. Little does he know that this same misfortune would put him in the path of adventure beyond his wildest reckoning, as well a fateful encounter with an eccentric necromancer.

Azrael stands at the height of the men of power in the world. The way he’s going, it’s entirely possible he’ll ascend and become an unchained after his death, in a few hundred year’s time. Or at least, that is how it used to be. That same man now roams the continents, vengeful and afraid. That is when he meets a young warrior, fleeing his guilt over a murder he committed.

This book has very little in the way of romance. It is more focused on action, humor, and heartfelt character development.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Andrew Mowere's book The final life was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Andrew Mowere is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,804,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible