dismiss

Grace: A Novel by Natashia Deon

Grace: A Novel (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Natashia Deon (Author)

"For a runaway slave in the 1840s south, life on the run can be just as dangerous as life under a sadistic Massa. That's what fifteen-year-old Naomi learns after she escapes the brutal confines of life on an Alabama plantation. Striking out on her own, she must leave behind her beloved Momma and sister Hazel and take refuge in a Georgia brothel run by a freewheeling, gun-toting Jewish madam named Cynthia. There, amidst a revolving door of gamblers, prostitutes, and drunks, Naomi falls into a star-crossed love affair with a smooth-talking white man named Jeremy who frequents the brothel's dice tables too often. The product of Naomi and Jeremy's union is Josey, whose white skin and blonde hair mark her as different from the other slave children on the plantation. Having been taken in as an infant by a free slave named Charles, Josey has never known her mother, who was murdered at her birth. Josey soon becomes caught in the tide of history when news of the Emancipation Proclamation reaches the declining estate and a day of supposed freedom quickly turns into a day of unfathomable violence that will define Josey--and her lost mother--for years to come."--Publisher's website.… (more)
Member:biddlelibrary
Title:Grace: A Novel
Authors:Natashia Deon (Author)
Info:Counterpoint (2016), 400 pages
Tags:fiction

Grace by Natashia Deón (2016)

Brilliant and devastating, lyrical and heart-breakingly sad. Everyone should read this book. Natashia Deón is a great talented voice! ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
I am a little speechless. This book was so moving. Just everything about it sunk into me. This was one of those books I randomly picked out at the library and I am so glad my fingers fell on it. Never heard of this author but will definitely follow her to see what other masterpieces she produces ( )
  justablondemoment | Sep 6, 2018 |
Ms. Deon, I can not believe that this is your debut novel! It's brilliant, and you are a wonderful storyteller! I was so fortunate to have won this through a Goodreads Giveaway, and I could not be more glad. This novel is definitely not for the faint of heart, but it is a wonderful read! ( )
  patsaintsfan | Aug 13, 2018 |
This is the debut novel by Natashia Deón. It tells the stories of two black women, Naomi, in 1840s Georgia and her daughter, Josey, in the 1860s in Alabama. Naomi flees the murder of a slaveowner, finding a refuge of sorts in a rural brothel. There, she has a contentious relationship with the brothel owner, but her impulsivity and naivety lead her into danger. Later, her daughter, blonde and troubled, experiences the dangers of being legally free, but living in the South.

This was an interesting novel that didn't lack for drama, but had a lot more melodrama than I would have liked. While Naomi was flawed, but willing to act, her daughter spent her life needing to be cared for and her decisions made for her, first by her guardian and then by her husband, making her a not very interesting character to spend half of a novel reading about. I also have some questions about some of the behaviors of a few of the characters and of whether that would have been at all likely in the antebellum south, but the two stories didn't lack for momentum. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | Jul 31, 2018 |
*I received this copy from a giveaway on Goodreads.*
I enjoyed the story line and plot of this book. It was built around the life of a black slave and her daughter right before the civil war (in the 1850s I believe). It felt very historically accurate to me and although the storytelling style was brutal it was very truthful as well.
The book did a good job of covering the life of both the mother and the daughter, however, I found the way it skipped around the timeline very confusing. Sometimes it would be a flashback, other times it would be in the present. Because of this, it took me a while to notice that the mother also died in like the first part of the book (literally in the prologue). Part of the reason it took me so long to read and understand the book (mostly the people the book was referencing and the timeline) was because of the language used.
It is accurate for the time period but because I am used to the 21st-century manner of speaking it took me awhile to get into a rhythm and actually properly understand what the characters were saying. Most of the problem was in the dialogue as, again, it is historically accurate for the time but very hard to understand. I didn't tend to have a problem with the regular text except when it switched time period and occasionally point of view.
All in all, this is a good historical novel for those looking for a book with accurate grammar and word choice for the time period and a realistic look at how slaves were treated during this time period. ( )
  Alana_Platt | May 21, 2017 |
The stars we are given. The constellations we make. --Rebecca Solnit
I am dead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,649,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible