Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

One Wild Bird at a Time: Portraits of…

One Wild Bird at a Time: Portraits of Individual Lives (edition 2016)

by Bernd Heinrich (Author)

Member:jeffc666
Title:One Wild Bird at a Time: Portraits of Individual Lives
Authors:Bernd Heinrich (Author)
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2016), 224 pages

One Wild Bird at a Time: Portraits of Individual Lives by Bernd Heinrich

9 (1) audible (3) audiobook (4) bab (2) bird (1) bird behavior (1) birding (3) birds (16) birds and birding (1) eb (1) ebook (1) ID (1) Joan (1) kindle (2) mating (1) natural history (5) natural history narrative (1) nature (10) nesting (1) NF (3) non-fiction (7) ornithology (3) owls (1) read (2) science (6) Science & Nature (3) tbf (1) to-read (9) USA (2) wild birds (1)

Portraits of individual lives
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
I found the chapter about the crows to be the most interesting. Who knew that crows could be (have been) pets? ( )
  sraelling | Jun 17, 2017 |
This one was such a perfect fit for me, in my fledgling “birding” life and I was lucky to find it as an Audible Daily Deal.
Each of these chapters, most take place at the author's remote Maine cabin, are portrait's of a particular bird or a group of birds. The first one involves a family of northern flickers, that have taken up residence, inside the walls of his cabin.
We then move onto owls, woodcocks, phoebes, vireos and others.
There is some humor here, but Heinrich's deep passion and painstaking drive to observe and understand the lives of our feathered friends, is evident on every page. This may not be of interest to all readers but if you appreciate nature, the great outdoors and an intimate look at birds, give this wonderful book a try.
It looks like he has written many other books and I will be seeking these out, as well. ( )
5 vote msf59 | Jan 12, 2017 |
Three and a half stars. Some chapters were better than others, but on the whole I enjoyed Heinrich's tales of his bird studies. Each chapter focuses on a particular sort of bird and on a certain aspect of that bird's behavior. There is a lot about nesting and raising babies, flock behavior, feeding, territoriality, etc. Heinrich's observations are spectacularly (okay, sometimes hilariously) specific. He counts daily bird poops in nests, tail bobs per minute, caterpillars carried per feeding trip, grams of fat under a bird's skin during its post mortem inspection (and number of pecks causing the death that resulted in a post mortem inspection), etc. He is obsessive. But engaging! His delight in nature is irresistible, and I appreciated the way he kept pointing out the way his observations of seemingly simple phenomena led to questions which he would initially pursue through looking at other people's research and then, often, continue to investigate through his own cleverly devised experiments. I listened to this as an audiobook read by Rick Adamson, and his reading was very pleasant. ( )
  meandmybooks | Dec 29, 2016 |
Excellent read - I learned so much and it really encouraged me to observe and question bird behaviour much more closely ( )
  PennyMck | Aug 7, 2016 |

The acclaimed scientist's encounters with individual wild birds, yielding “marvelous, mind-altering” (Los Angeles Times) insights and discoveries

In his modern classics One Man’s Owl and Mind of the Raven, Bernd Heinrich has written memorably about his relationships with wild ravens and a great horned owl.

In One Wild Bird at a Time, Heinrich returns to his great love: close, day-to-day observations of individual wild birds. There are countless books on bird behavior, but, writes Heinrich, “some of the most amazing bird behaviors fall below the radar of what most birds do in aggregate.” Heinrich’s “passionate observations [that] superbly mix memoir and science” (New York Times) lead to fascinating questions — and sometimes startling discoveries. A great crested flycatcher bringing food to the young acts surreptitiously and is attacked by the mate. Why? A pair of Northern flickers hammering their nest-hole into the side of Heinrich’s cabin deliver the opportunity to observe the feeding competition between siblings, and to make a related discovery about nest-cleaning. One of a clutch of redstart warbler babies fledges out of the nest from twenty feet above the ground, and lands on the grass below. It can’t fly. What will happen next?

Heinrich “looks closely, with his trademark ‘hands-and-knees science’ at its most engaging, [delivering] what can only be called psychological marvels of knowing” (Boston Globe).

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 12 Jan 2016 07:14:04 -0500)

In One Wild Bird at a Time, Heinrich shares his great love: close, day-to-day observations of individual wild birds. There are countless books on bird behavior, but Heinrich argues that some of the most amazing bird behaviors fall below the radar of what most birds do in aggregate. Heinrich's "passionate observations [that] superbly mix memoir and science" lead to fascinating questions - and sometimes startling discoveries.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,500,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible