Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk

Wolf Hollow (original 2016; edition 2018)

by Lauren Wolk (Author)

"Twelve-year-old Annabelle must learn to stand up for what's right in the face of a manipulative and violent new bully who targets people Annabelle cares about, including a homeless World War I veteran"--
Member:UndercoverBooksVI
Title:Wolf Hollow
Authors:Lauren Wolk (Author)
Info:Puffin Books (2018), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages

Work Information

Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk (2016)

A great book. It's written beautifully with wonderful Prose. Lauren Wolk just has a way with words and similies. I enjoyed the book, until the end which is really sad. (and you ask. "Why!?!, Lauren Wolk. WHY!!?!?"😭😉
I also read Lauren Wolk's other two novels, Echo Mountain and Beyond the Bright Sea, which I think I liked them more, but this is still a great book! ( )
  MollyGroff | May 23, 2022 |
This was an intense read, and a really compelling one, notable both in setting and in moral complexity. What I mean by moral complexity is that the very well written main character is capable of relating what happens to her and simultaneously sharing a level of compassion that works almost like a web, connecting the reader intimately on many levels with the other characters. This is not a black and white book. It is an intensely moving, emotionally complex, simply told story, with an inevitability that tears at the heart. I'm absolutely delighted to read something WWII that's set in America, and confronts the damaged soldiers who linger after World War I as well. And yet in the end it's a pretty straightforward story of a bully, and the impact of cruelty on community.

I feel like I'm writing around the plot, but it's an unusual read, and a great one.

Advanced Readers Copy provided by Edelweiss ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Annabelle lives with her family in Pennsylvania, and at eleven-almost-twelve, she likes her life but feels restless and ready for something to happen. But when "incorrigible" Betty Glengarry comes to town to live with her grandparents and begins to torture Annabelle, threaten her little brothers, and blame her bad behavior on Toby, the reclusive but kind WWI vet who lives nearby, Annabelle stands up for Toby. Then Betty disappears, and opinion in the town is that Toby had something to do with it; the hunt is on. Throughout, Annabelle wrestles with figuring out the right thing to do and how to do it; she's steady and brave, and has her mother and father's trust (though Aunt Lily shares the townspeople's view of Toby).

Heartwrenching.

See also: Echo Mountain by Lauren Wolk, Stella By Starlight by Sharon Draper, Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Quotes

I didn't know if living in the country with her grandparents was meant to be a punishment or a cure, but either way I didn't think it was fair to inflict her on us who had not done anything so terribly wrong. (5)

"It happened in little bits, not all at once, and it wasn't easy to figure out what to do along the way." (Annabelle to parents, 80)

...and dusty sunlight striped the air like bridges to somewhere else. (113)

The truth was so tightly braided with secrets that I could not easily say anything without saying too much. (221)

"That man's so stubborn he could be a member of the family," I said.
"From your mother's side," my father said. (234-235)

He hadn't seemed at all afraid. Just sorry to be blamed for what he hadn't done and weary with the burden of what he had, but not inclined to do much about either. Perhaps he was convinced that there was nothing he could do. (263)

I watched her for a moment. She looked different, not knowing that anyone was there, all of her facing inward... (276)

Some of [the peach blossoms] would survive to become fruit as good as anything on earth. Others would wither on the branch, killed by frost, wasted.
It seemed to me that Betty had been both the flower and the frost. (288-289)

But the wind always swept my words away like cloud shadows, as if it mattered more that I said them, than who heard them. (291) ( )
  JennyArch | Jan 22, 2022 |
A wonderfully sad book. ( )
  MorbidLibrarian | Sep 18, 2021 |
Annabelle is a good realistic middle grade heroine. The book is set in rural Pennsylvania in the early 1940s. A blonde-haired, blue-eyed city girl (Betty Glengarry) moves to town to live with her grandparents and begins to bully and threaten Annabelle. When a local recluse WWI veteran (Toby Jordan) comes to Annabelle's rescue, Betty turns vicious and blames Toby. When Betty disappears and Toby cannot be located, the worst is assumed. But, the conclusions are wrong and Annabelle acts much older and wiser than her young age of 11 would suggest, and ultimately teaches a lesson to all. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |

Lauren Wolkprimary authorall editionscalculated
Colemann, Sarah J.Hand Letteringsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahara, TonyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strauss-Gabel, JulieEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The year I turned twelve, I learned how to lie.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,366,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible