Luck Is No Lady (Fallen Ladies)

by Amy Sandas

Series: Fallen Ladies (1)

A USA TodayBestseller! "... lively plot, engaging characters and heated love scenes make this a page-turner."--RT Book Reviews, 4 Stars In order to save her family, Emma Chadwick must find employment at an infamous gambling hell where she will learn there is pleasure to be found in falling--and sometimes being a little bad can feel so very good. Emma Chadwick always assumed she'd live and die the daughter of a gentleman. But when her father's death reveals a world of staggering debt and dangerous moneylenders, she must risk her good name and put her talent for mathematics to use, taking a position as bookkeeper at London's most notorious gambling hell. Surrounded by vice and corruption on all sides, it is imperative the tonnever discovers Emma's shameful secret orher reputation--and her life--will be ruined. But Roderick Bentley, the hell's sinfully wealthy owner, awakens a hunger Emma cannot deny. Drawn deep into an underworld of high stakes gambling and reckless overindulgence, she soon discovers that to win the love of a ruthless scoundrel, she will have to play the game...and give in to the pleasure of falling from grace. "You should not have kissed me," she replied breathlessly. "I do a lot of things I shouldn't. It does not mean I won't do them again." Fallen Ladies series: Luck Is No Lady (Book 1) The Untouchable Earl (Book 2) Lord of Lies (Book 3) What Reviewers are saying about Luck Is No Lady: "Smart and Sexy."--Booklist "SEXY AS SIN!"--Addicted to Romance "Lively plot, engaging characters and heated love scenes make this a page-turner...Sandas has created a book readers will enjoy."--RT Book Reviews… (more)

I thought this was a solid read: (3-3.5)
-A practical yet passionate accountant and committed older sister
-A man who makes his own family and is ultimately sweet, supportive, and loyal
-a well developed relationship
-an engaging enough plot
-well-written sexy times

I'm no HR expert, but I did have fun with this book. I struggled a bit with how this all came together, or the lack of tension. I'm not sure what was missing, but I did enjoy the elements of this book a great deal. You get a great sense of the heroine though it and how she decides to prioritize herself, or is pushed to by her sisters. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
I loved this book! I read it in one sitting, staying up until midnight because I simply could not put it down! Emma and Roderick are GREAT characters! Full review will be on the blog on 4/2/16! The Book Disciple ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
This is the first book in Fallen Ladies series and I liked it, despite a very familiar trope of heroine in dire straits seeking to settle the debt in which she was left in after her no-good father passes away.

I also liked that she possessed a unique talent and that she had the smarts to use it to her advantage.

But what made this story was its hero! I loved the fact that despite his good looks and obvious alpha traits, he was beta hero through and through.

All in all, not a bad story. I’m looking forward to the next book!

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the publisher
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this story! The story is somewhat unusual in that it features Roderick Bentley, the illegitimate son of a duke. Because of this, he does not have any family support, so he is a self-made man. He is smart and handsome and has made the most of himself in a time when class and family ties determined everything. The heroine is Emma Chadwick, who is a lady. Unfortunately, her father squandered all their money in gambling and then died, leaving his 3 daughters penniless and in debt. They may have a title, but no money. Emma decides she needs to find work in order to support his sisters. She applies for a bookkeeping position at Bentley's gambling hell. Very unorthodox for a woman or a lady.
The chemistry between Roderick and Emma will keep the reader hooked. Their attempts at keeping things professional is not going well. The dialogue between the characters is well written and witty. I definitely enjoyed it! I loved the setting of the masquerade ball. A reader could get lost in the story. Emma was written as a strong main character. She knew what she needed to do and got it done. However, she was stubborn about some things and it was fun to see her character evolve. This was my first book that I read by Amy Sandas and I really enjoyed it.

I definitely recommend this to readers who like Regency romance novels. ( )
  kmjanek | May 4, 2016 |
... needs must when all else fails

Emma Chadwick dealt with most things calmly. So when she is kissed by a stranger at a ball in a small side room she's taken refuge in, she takes that in her stride too--well almost! Emma has taken all of the family assets to give her sisters a chance at a season and an opportunity to enter into a good marriage. Unfortunately, the venture is more expensive than she thought and then there's the added worry of her father's mysterious gambling debts having caught up with them. Emma has to take a job. When she applies for a position as a bookkeeper, she little realizes that she is walking into one of London's most notorious gambling establishments and that the owner is one Roderick Bentley, the stranger she kissed. Emma's mathematical skills ensures her the job, her attraction for the club's owner just might secure her heart. But then there's the problem of being pursued by the man who is owed money, the necessity to keep Emma's secret job from the scandalous eyes of the ton, and to keep her attraction for Roderick under control.
A somewhat familiar plot but well executed.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Apr 5, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,141,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible