dismiss

Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer…

Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer (1)) (edition 2017)

by Laini Taylor (Author)

In the aftermath of a war between gods and men, a hero, a librarian, and a girl must battle the fantastical elements of a mysterious city stripped of its name.
Member:Tip44
Title:Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer (1))
Authors:Laini Taylor (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2017), 544 pages
Rating:*****

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Beautiful type of fairy tale

English (80)  Dutch (1)  All languages (81)
Please note that I DNFed this book at 5 percent.

Sorry, not sorry, I just am not going to force myself to read something I am not enjoying.

The purple prose and info dump that I tried to wade through turned me completely off. I can't say much more than that since I didn't waste my time trying to struggle through this read.

I would also say that the flow was just a slog. I did try to skim a couple of chapters and just gave up. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Another truly wonderful book from Laini Taylor. Her books start out as a fantastical fairy tale that is magical and quite unbelievable. As each chapter goes by bits fall into place until the unbelievable becomes possible. ( )
  Tip44 | Jun 30, 2020 |
This book was one of the most beautiful books I have read in a long time. I couldn't put it down! ( )
  purpletabbycat | Jun 26, 2020 |
Wow, I am absolutely blown away! Laini Taylor's writing is utterly enchanting! I was actually a little bit wary going in to this... I mean, it had a gorgeous cover, and I'd heard nothing but good about it, but... The description didn't actually appeal to me all that much, and I'd read the first page and not been to interested. And I think I was scared of the hype a little bit.
But this book was amazing! It was beautiful, and heartbreaking, and WOW!

THE PLOT

Okay, I admit, it's been over a month since I read this, and plots are almost always the first to go for me... But! I think I remember the plot fairly well, and it was really great.

One the one hand, there's Lazlo, who's always dreamed of the lost city of Weep. So when he's offered the chance to go there, naturally he took it.

And then there's Sarai and her siblings, stuck in the Citadel, and um... Okay, I remember the plot, I'm just not really sure what I can say without spoilers.

It was good though, and fairly complex.

THE WORLD

WOW!! The world building was AMAZING! Weep was so magical, and amazing, and beautiful, and WOW!
And the Godspawn and their powers? Super cool! (Is that even what they called them? Or did I just completely make that name up?) Feral and his storms, Ruby and her flames, Sparrow and her plants, but more importantly, Minya and her ghosts, and Sarai's dreams.
I really loved Sarai's powers. They were SO cool! And the dreams? WOW! They were SO well done, and the writing was absolutely magical!
Okay, my conclusion on the world? It's amazing, and magical, and, um... Laini Taylor has a seriously twisted imagination. And I mean that as a compliment. Her worlds are beautiful, but they're also dark and twisted, and I don't know HOW anyone could come up with some of it!

I love this world. I love Weep. I love the dreams, and the ghosts, and everything else about this world.

THE CHARACTERS

I think the characters in this are, if possibly, even better than the world building was!

● Lazlo is AMAZING!!!! He's so studious and adorable, and there's so much book appreciation from him!! And yes, I did just call someone four years older than me adorable. Fight me.
Seriously though, I love Lazlo. He is so sweet, and he loves books! I mean, he walks into walls because he's reading! If that isn't relatable, I don't know what is.
● Sarai is lovely. She's feisty, and broken, and SO well developed! I absolutely adored her! It's rare that I like one main character this much, let alone two, so I think this is a win.
● Then there's Ruby and Sparrow and Feral. From what I've heard, everybody loves Sparrow, but personally? Ruby captured my heart. I don't know what it was about her, I just fell in love with her instantly. Sparrow was sweet, but she didn't have that much personality. And Feral? I really didn't think he was that nice.
● And then there's Minya. Minya is sort of really creepy. She's an amazingly done character, but I do NOT like her. Sam however, incredibly curious to see where they go with her.
● There was also the Godslayer. I can't remember his name, but I loved his character development, and his relationship with that woman. Whatever her name was.
● There was a few other that I loved too, but unfortunately their names have escaped me, sooo...

OVER ALL

Strange the Dreamer is absolutely magical. I love it, and I need Muse of Nightmares RIGHT NOW!!! I would highly recommend it to absolutely anyone. So go read it. Right now. ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
And this was exactly what I've been looking for.

Gods, dreams, epic fantasy, a richly detailed world, and more importantly, characters I can wholeheartedly love.

But what about originality? Oh, there's plenty here. I'm gonna name drop some titles to let you folk know a tiny bit of what's in store, but don't assume that because this book shares some elements of each, that it is a knock-off, because it isn't.

Think about a love child of [b:City of Stairs|20174424|City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)|Robert Jackson Bennett|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1394545220s/20174424.jpg|28030792] and [b:The Dragonbone Chair|91981|The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #1)|Tad Williams|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1477417642s/91981.jpg|840191] with a very healthy dose of [b:The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms|6437061|The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance Trilogy, #1)|N.K. Jemisin|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1303143211s/6437061.jpg|6626657] and a smidge of all the best modern epic fantasies, and you've got what does NOT feel like a tired YA romance... rather, it feels like a wonderful modern fantasy that tugs at you in all the right places and even lets you feel a bit of Gaiman's Dream magic. :)

But the best part of this is the writing, from the characters to the overarching arc of the story. It's good. Plain and simple. Very, very, good.

I love being blown away by hints and tragedies and enormous somethings in the background and the build-up to make it truly delicious when it all comes home to roost.

But if you're thinking that this is a standalone novel, then think again. Nothing can stand as it is now. Buckle up tight, because it's going to be a really big ride.

And yes, this is officially billed as YA but I don't think it should be limited to that sobriquet. It's perfectly adult. :) Perfectly dark and dire, in other words, and simple? This is not. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For Alexandra, unique in the world
On the second Sabbat of Twelfthmoon, in the city of Weep, a girl fell from the sky.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,651,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible