The Unseen World: A Novel by Liz Moore

The Unseen World: A Novel

by Liz Moore

I enjoyed this story of Ada, a young girl raised by a single "geeky" father who we eventually find out has a secret past. Ada's father, David, runs the computer lab at the local college and has programmed Elixir, a prototype AI computer program. Both Ada and David tell Elixir their deepest thoughts and secrets, and when David's alzheimer first hospitalizes him and eventually robs him of the ability to communicate, Ada needs to decrypt a puzzle that David had given her as a youngster. A bit geeky, but also some interesting character development. ( )
  CYGeeker | Sep 6, 2018 |
odd, yet moving, relationship between father and daughter ( )
  rosies | Jul 5, 2018 |
This one took awhile to get really good. I was only mildly interested (and kept thinking she needed a better editor to get to the goods sooner than she did). Then, I hit page 192, and the story took off and blossomed. My only hope is that future readers can be as patient as I was. The patience will pay off, though. I promise. The only reason why I did not give it 5 stars was because it took too long to grip me and not let go. ( )
  ppmarkgraf | May 5, 2018 |
I have really started to love the Audible Channels. Much like the reading challenges I've begun to do in recent years, it brings me books that I wouldn't have thought to read or authors I'd been apprehensive about. It brought me Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng and Bloodchild and other Stories by Octavia E. Butler and now The Unseen World, read by Lisa Flanagan. This was so much more than I expected when I choose it. The description available from Amazon doesn't quite prepare the reader for everything the book is about and I appreciated that about it.

This is a story about a father and daughter in the 1980's. Both are unusual and rather introverted but brilliant. What seems like a fairy-tale existence for such a smart girl in the beginning soon begins to deteriorate when her father becomes ill and is no longer capable of taking care of her. Their support network rallies behind them and though life stays relatively on course, things will never be the same.

Every time things begin to seem like they are going to settle down, an interesting new revelation comes to light and the characters are rocked off course again. I loved the fairly unpredictable nature of the story, though I did see some things coming. I especially loved the way it all played out and the father's intentions and his backstory. It's especially his backstory that makes this unique story for me. It's not just what it consists of but the way it plays out and the way that others supported him. It's beautiful, really.

The daughter's progress through life and the coming-of-age part of the story is interesting in that she is a unique character and doesn't have typical responses to the world. I loved that it was written from her deep POV and there were cues for the reader to pick up on that left her character in the dark about what was going on with those around her. I appreciated that though she was incredibly smart, that didn't make her extraordinarily perceptive and that she still stumbled. It brought up a lot of feelings similar to Everything I Never Told You, where there was also no specific bad guy, just life and loss and struggle and hope and family.

I loved it all and look forward to reading Liz Moore again. ( )
  Calavari | Apr 5, 2018 |
This book is beautiful. This is one of those times when I really don't know how to come up with the right words to describe all of the wonderful things about this novel. But I'm going to try. The story is told almost exclusively from Ada's point of view. She is a very interesting protagonist; she has an intelligent and analytical way of looking at interactions but she manages to retain her innocence. It is extremely difficult to achieve this type of voice and yet the author does so effortlessly. I felt like I was growing up right alongside Ada, feeling awe when around her father, wanting his approval, and feeling despair when he begins to forget. I feel her pain and her determination as she tries to make things alright, as she tries to find her place in the social hierarchy of high school. I find myself just as curious as she is, when she discovers that her father has secrets he has been hiding from everyone. This novel is slow in its pace but it needs to be in order for the reader to really connect with Ada and understand the magnanimity of her situation. I took my time with this novel, and it was definitely worth it. I would recommend this to anyone who likes literary fiction and coming-of-age stories. 4/5 stars from me!

For more reviews, visit: www.veereading.wordpress.com ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |

A heartbreaking and moving story about a daughter’s quest to discover the truth about her father’s hidden past.

Ada Sibelius is raised by David, a single father and head of a computer science lab in Boston. Homeschooled, she accompanies her loving father― brilliant, eccentric, socially inept―to work every day. By twelve, she is a painfully shy prodigy. The lab begins to gain acclaim at the same time that David’s mind begins to falter and his mysterious past comes into question. When her father moves into a nursing home, Ada is taken in by one of David’s colleagues. She embarks on a mission to uncover her father’s secrets: a process that carries her from childhood to adulthood. Eventually, Ada pioneers a type of software that enables her to make contact with her past and to reconcile the man she thought she knew with the truth.

Praised for her ability to create quirky and unforgettable characters, Liz Moore has written a piercing story of a daughter’s quest to restore the legacy of the father she desperately loves.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 13 Jan 2016 18:44:22 -0500)

"The moving story of a daughter's quest to discover the truth about her beloved father's hidden past. Ada Sibelius is raised by David, her brilliant, eccentric, socially inept single father, who directs a computer science lab in 1980s-era Boston. Home-schooled, Ada accompanies David to work every day; by twelve, she is a painfully shy prodigy. The lab begins to gain acclaim at the same time that David's mysterious history comes into question. When his mind begins to falter, leaving Ada virtually an orphan, she is taken in by one of David's colleagues. Soon after she embarks on a mission to uncover her father's secrets: a process that carries her from childhood to adulthood. What Ada discovers on her journey into a virtual universe will keep the reader riveted until The Unseen World's heart-stopping, fascinating conclusion"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Liz Moore is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,811,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible