Imagine (Pumpkinheads) by Karen Kilpatrick

by Karen Kilpatrick

113,689,591 (5)None
Recently added byPennyMindingMom

No tags.

Everyone is unique. I’m always amazed at how accepting my children are of everyone around them. My kids don’t seem to notice things like wheelchairs and skin colour, they just see the person behind it all. I hope they never lose that innocence.

“Imagine” by Karen Kilpatrick is the story of the Pumpkinheads, a group of fun loving kids who are having fun imagining all sorts of fun situations. When they change the sky to purple and the grass blue they learn a some very important life lessons. They learn that when they use their imagination the possibilities are endless. They also learn that the sky is still the sky and the grass is still grass, it’s just different, yet still beautiful…just like all of us. We’re all different, but we are all beautiful in our own way.

The author has created an amazing book series that teaches kids to love the world around them. “Imagine” is a book that teaches your child about diversity and imagination.

The Pumpkinheads are a diverse group of kids playing outside with nothing more than a magic wand and their imaginations. They are having fun pretending to change the world around them. I love how the author shows them having fun without the use of electronics or other toys. It is a great lesson for my kids to learn, that they don’t need to have “stuff” to have fun.

The author also teaches kids about diversity. Each one of us is unique, from our skin to our personality. I love how the author uses simple things like the sky and grass, things that my kids can relate to, and explains how that even through they are different colours from what we are accustomed they haven’t changed. Beneath all the colours they are still the sky and grass.

Although this probably wasn’t the author’s intention, I also used this example to talk with the kids about the way things seem different during the night. We took their teddy bear and turned off the light, the kids told me that it looks like a scary monster in the dark. We talked about how our imaginations sometimes play tricks on us. When I turned on the light, they discovered their monster is still their little teddy bear.

The book offers some great discussion questions. It is fun to talk to the kids about what they would change and who they would be if they had the magic wand. I learned a lot about the kids, they even surprised me with a few of their suggestions. There is also a “Spark Your Imagination!” section. It offers your child some suggestions on things they can do like draw a silly world or create their own game. All things my kids couldn’t wait to do!

The illustrations are wonderful. The character’s faces are really expressive. You find yourself catching their excitement. The colours are vibrant and bold.

Be sure to visit the Pumpkinheads website and play in the playground. There are different activities to entertain your child. Colour, read about and explore the world of the Pumpkinheads!

“Imagine” is a great book for early readers. It teaches your child that imagination is powerful and fun, and behind all our differences we are all the same!

*Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of “Imagine” in exchange for my review. All opinions are 100% my own. ( )
  PennyMindingMom | Jan 15, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,556,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible