The Wolf Road by Beth Lewis

The Wolf Road

by Beth Lewis

3419447,259 (3.89)24

The time frame of this is set in a post apocalyptic future where everything has reverted to what might be seen as the wild west with gold rushes and shanty towns. This book was very dark, yet very engaging. The story begins with a 7 year old girl lost in the woods after a tornado destroys the shack she and her grandmother lived in. She cannot find her nana but she stumbles across a house with hides and meat drying and driven from hunger she steals a piece setting off an alarm to someone inside the house. She runs but is caught by a man she ends up calling Trapper. She never learns his real name and he calls her Elka due to the coarseness of her hair. Thus begins an odd relationship where she begins to see him as a father figure and he sees her as someone to pass on his skills of living off the land. Trapper is a tough teacher and leaves her alone for days at a time bringing back his "kills" for her to skin and process.
After many years she is finally trused to go to town to get supplies and she sees a wanted picture of the man she knows as Trapper. He's wanted in connection to several murders in the area. As she heads back to the house she comes upon lawmen ransacking her and Trappers home and they discover a box of human scalps. She sees this and decides she's going to leave and search for the parents that left her 10 years ago. Thus begins a long journey through the wilderness and outlands ravaged by what she calls "the big stupid" aka a nuclear war. She makes a friend and together they have to escape their past and those that hunt them. ( )
  Verkruissen | Sep 27, 2018 |
A fine book though I was a bit frustrated by the pacing and ending. Part of that might be because the first chapter, meant to tantalize, simply revealed too much about where the book was going. Part of that might also be because it's a road book with a set destination, and it takes a long time for the character to walk there. I do like the three main relationships in which the protagonist is involved, a father/daughter thing and two deep friendships. And the protagonist herself is quite strong with a distinctive voice and outlook. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While there are so many post-apocalyptic books that have been published this story goes beyond what has become the norm. The Wolf Road is a powerful novel that changes the way that we think about endings and beginnings. The fact that this is a first time for the author to publish a novel, it is simply captivating and amazing! ( )
  Literature_Owl | Feb 10, 2018 |
For more reviews, visit: www.veereading.wordpress.com

I've been very excited to read this novel. Ever since I read Wake of Vultures and Conspiracy of Ravens, I've become more interested in the idea of reading novels with an American West style. This novel presented me with the opportunity to explore this as well as just having a super interesting premise.

Elka was rescued by a solitary hunter when she was just seven years old. He took her under his wing and taught her everything he knew about surviving in the wilderness. She called him Trapper, and he was her daddy in all ways but by blood. But when Elka sees a Wanted poster with his picture on it in town, her life is destroyed. Her Trapper - Kreager Hallet - is not who she thought he was; he has been accused of murder. Even worse, Magistrate Lyon has noticed Elka and wants to talk to her about Kreager. Elka flees the town and the home she has lived in with Trapper in search of her real parents. But the wilderness that surrounds her is a cruel place, and no one can be trusted. With Lyon on Elka's heels, it will take everything Elka has to confront her past and move on towards an unknown future.

I finished this book in the span of a few hours, it was that good! I loved the pacing, the way Elka talked, and most of all, I loved Elka! She was spunky and damaged and perfect for the world that she inhabited. This story took me on an adventure that I could never have imagined. Right away, in the very beginning of the novel, we are told what happens to Trapper. This took me by surprise, because I thought that was the whole point of the story. Instead, the author takes you on a crazy journey where the character encounters danger in both nature and in areas of "civilization". This novel definitely makes you reconsider thinking of humans as rational and moral beings that are on a different plane than animals; for the most part, the humans in this story were more dangerous than anything in the wild! The struggles that Elka deals with are formidable and I was constantly in awe of her ability to get through any difficult situation. That isn't to say she was perfect; she was clearly shook up by each bad turn, and the author did a great job reflecting that through character development. I also liked the introduction of other characters, be they villains or friends. They brought their own depth to the story, and supported the growth and development of Elka's character. I definitely was not expecting the final ending; it was horrific and shocking and perfectly suited for the gritty nature of this story. The author did make mention of an apocalyptic event that had occurred many years ago, which had changed the environment considerably, but this event had only indirect impact on the story and was perhaps not necessary. Or maybe it was. It didn't hurt or help, so it doesn't really matter either way. Overall, a great debut that combines many genre elements perfectly to create an astounding story that will keep you hooked from start to finish! ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
** I received an advance reader copy of this book for free through a Goodreads giveaway. **

Creepy, spare and very well written, this book drew me in and made me need to see what happened next with the main character. I didn't care much for her voice (I always have issues reading books where the characters speak entirely in slang but that's just me and not an attack on the author's writing ability) but once I got into the book I stopped noticing it so much. ( )
  J_Colson | Nov 30, 2017 |

Beth Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
McFadden, AmyReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 110190612X, Hardcover)

True Grit meets The Road in this postapocalyptic psychological thriller--narrated by a young girl who has just learned that her adopted father may be a serial killer, and that she may be his next victim.

Everything Elka knows of the world she learned from the man she calls father, the solitary hunter who took her under his wing when she was just seven years old. He has taught her how to shoot, track, set snares, and start fires—all the skills she needs to survive in a frozen, lawless land where civilization has been destroyed and men are at the mercy of the elements and each other.

But the man Elka thought she knew so well is harboring a terrible secret. He’s a killer. A monster. And now that Elka knows the truth, she too is in danger.

Armed with nothing but her knife and the survival skills he’s taught her, Elka makes her escape and sets out on a journey to the frozen north in the hope of finding her long-lost parents. But judging by the trail of blood and bodies dogging her footsteps, daddy won't be letting his little girl go without a fight. If Elka's going to survive, she'll have to turn and confront not just him, but the truth about what he's turned her into.

The Wolf Road is an intimate, cat-and-mouse tale of justice and revenge, played out against a vast, unforgiving landscape--told by an unforgettable, tough-as-nails young heroine whose struggle to escape the terrors of her past and rejoin humanity are at once horrifying and heartbreaking.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 15 Jan 2016 14:40:14 -0500)

Taught to hunt, shoot, and survive in the remote wilds of a ravaged land by the man who adopted her after finding her wandering in the woods as a young child, Elka reflects on the catastrophic events that destroyed civilization more than a century earlier before gradually realizing that her father may be a serial killer.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Beth Lewis's book The Wolf Road was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,749,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible