The Wolf Road by Beth Lewis

The Wolf Road

by Beth Lewis

3019337,236 (3.9)24

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While there are so many post-apocalyptic books that have been published this story goes beyond what has become the norm. The Wolf Road is a powerful novel that changes the way that we think about endings and beginnings. The fact that this is a first time for the author to publish a novel, it is simply captivating and amazing! ( )
  Literature_Owl | Feb 10, 2018 |
For more reviews, visit: www.veereading.wordpress.com

I've been very excited to read this novel. Ever since I read Wake of Vultures and Conspiracy of Ravens, I've become more interested in the idea of reading novels with an American West style. This novel presented me with the opportunity to explore this as well as just having a super interesting premise.

Elka was rescued by a solitary hunter when she was just seven years old. He took her under his wing and taught her everything he knew about surviving in the wilderness. She called him Trapper, and he was her daddy in all ways but by blood. But when Elka sees a Wanted poster with his picture on it in town, her life is destroyed. Her Trapper - Kreager Hallet - is not who she thought he was; he has been accused of murder. Even worse, Magistrate Lyon has noticed Elka and wants to talk to her about Kreager. Elka flees the town and the home she has lived in with Trapper in search of her real parents. But the wilderness that surrounds her is a cruel place, and no one can be trusted. With Lyon on Elka's heels, it will take everything Elka has to confront her past and move on towards an unknown future.

I finished this book in the span of a few hours, it was that good! I loved the pacing, the way Elka talked, and most of all, I loved Elka! She was spunky and damaged and perfect for the world that she inhabited. This story took me on an adventure that I could never have imagined. Right away, in the very beginning of the novel, we are told what happens to Trapper. This took me by surprise, because I thought that was the whole point of the story. Instead, the author takes you on a crazy journey where the character encounters danger in both nature and in areas of "civilization". This novel definitely makes you reconsider thinking of humans as rational and moral beings that are on a different plane than animals; for the most part, the humans in this story were more dangerous than anything in the wild! The struggles that Elka deals with are formidable and I was constantly in awe of her ability to get through any difficult situation. That isn't to say she was perfect; she was clearly shook up by each bad turn, and the author did a great job reflecting that through character development. I also liked the introduction of other characters, be they villains or friends. They brought their own depth to the story, and supported the growth and development of Elka's character. I definitely was not expecting the final ending; it was horrific and shocking and perfectly suited for the gritty nature of this story. The author did make mention of an apocalyptic event that had occurred many years ago, which had changed the environment considerably, but this event had only indirect impact on the story and was perhaps not necessary. Or maybe it was. It didn't hurt or help, so it doesn't really matter either way. Overall, a great debut that combines many genre elements perfectly to create an astounding story that will keep you hooked from start to finish! ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
** I received an advance reader copy of this book for free through a Goodreads giveaway. **

Creepy, spare and very well written, this book drew me in and made me need to see what happened next with the main character. I didn't care much for her voice (I always have issues reading books where the characters speak entirely in slang but that's just me and not an attack on the author's writing ability) but once I got into the book I stopped noticing it so much. ( )
  J_Colson | Nov 30, 2017 |
The Wolf Road is a first person, psychological thriller that follows a girl name Elka who is raised in the wilderness by a man named “Trapper”. When she finds out the man she loves as a father is a possible serial killer she tries to escape from him and her past.

There is so much attention to landscape in this novel as it takes place in a wilderness setting. Readers get this vivid imagery that immerses you into the novel such as the freezing waters of the river, snow-covered grounds, and types of various wildlife. You quickly see how cruel mother nature can be and how difficult it can be to survive in these conditions with no supplies. Readers also get a taste of what it’s like being alone in the woods for such long periods of time, how fast time elapses, and how lon periods of isolation can play tricks on the mind.

Elka, the main protagonist, is kind of brash and has an attitude. Though is very sure of herself and confident, her arrogant nature sometimes gets her put into sticky situations. Elka is also resourceful and she knows how to hunt, camp, and survive in the wild. She realizes during the entirety of the novel that her survival skills are based off of everything Trapper taught her through the years. On top of that, she struggles with the accusations being held against Trapper, and is terrified at the fact it is probably true. While she is running away from him, she is also running away from her own haunted past. Though Elka feels betrayed, she also knows she has to be on her a-game in order to survive and outrun Trapper.

Elka is so intelligent about wild life, which I was in awe of. However, when it comes to society and real world affairs she is so out of her element. She is quick to judge others due to her own shortfalls (lack of book smarts). By being exposed to society it makes her realize how truly isolated she’s been for most of her life even though she lived with Trapper for ten years. Watching her character development throughout the novel was intriguing because the reader gets to see all her thoughts, emotions, and feelings.

I think that Lewis’ own hands-on encounters and research of wilderness/survival helps to enhance the book’s entire experience. The whole novel is like one big cat and mouse game in the wild wheee Trapper is the predator and Elka is the prey. Every moment of the book something is new unfolds and I kept getting surprised at every new occurrence. I also loved the way Lewis writes her action scenes in this book. She builds suspense and tension into the smallest moments and keeps the readers constantly guessing at the possible ways the plot could turn.

On a side note, be warned that there are trigger warnings in this book! It was way more gory and graphically descriptive in certain parts than I thought it would be initially.

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book from Blogging For Books in exchange for a fair and honest review. ( )
  Rlmoulde | Nov 25, 2017 |
The time frame of this is set in a post apocalyptic future where everything has reverted to what might be seen as the wild west with gold rushes and shanty towns. This book was very dark, yet very engaging. The story begins with a 7 year old girl lost in the woods after a tornado destroys the shack she and her grandmother lived in. She cannot find her nana but she stumbles across a house with hides and meat drying and driven from hunger she steals a piece setting off an alarm to someone inside the house. She runs but is caught by a man she ends up calling Trapper. She never learns his real name and he calls her Elka due to the coarseness of her hair. Thus begins an odd relationship where she begins to see him as a father figure and he sees her as someone to pass on his skills of living off the land. Trapper is a tough teacher and leaves her alone for days at a time bringing back his "kills" for her to skin and process. After many years she is finally trusted to go to town to get supplies and she sees a wanted picture of the man she knows as Trapper. He's wanted in connection to several murders in the area. As she heads back to the house she comes upon lawmen ransacking her and Trappers home and they discover a box of human scalps. She sees this and decides she's going to leave and search for the parents that left her 10 years ago. Thus begins a long journey through the wilderness and out lands ravaged by what she calls "the big stupid" aka a nuclear war. She makes a friend and together they have to escape their past and those that hunt them. ( )
  Verkruissen | Sep 9, 2017 |

Beth Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
McFadden, AmyReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 110190612X, Hardcover)

True Grit meets The Road in this postapocalyptic psychological thriller--narrated by a young girl who has just learned that her adopted father may be a serial killer, and that she may be his next victim.

Everything Elka knows of the world she learned from the man she calls father, the solitary hunter who took her under his wing when she was just seven years old. He has taught her how to shoot, track, set snares, and start fires—all the skills she needs to survive in a frozen, lawless land where civilization has been destroyed and men are at the mercy of the elements and each other.

But the man Elka thought she knew so well is harboring a terrible secret. He’s a killer. A monster. And now that Elka knows the truth, she too is in danger.

Armed with nothing but her knife and the survival skills he’s taught her, Elka makes her escape and sets out on a journey to the frozen north in the hope of finding her long-lost parents. But judging by the trail of blood and bodies dogging her footsteps, daddy won't be letting his little girl go without a fight. If Elka's going to survive, she'll have to turn and confront not just him, but the truth about what he's turned her into.

The Wolf Road is an intimate, cat-and-mouse tale of justice and revenge, played out against a vast, unforgiving landscape--told by an unforgettable, tough-as-nails young heroine whose struggle to escape the terrors of her past and rejoin humanity are at once horrifying and heartbreaking.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 15 Jan 2016 14:40:14 -0500)

Taught to hunt, shoot, and survive in the remote wilds of a ravaged land by the man who adopted her after finding her wandering in the woods as a young child, Elka reflects on the catastrophic events that destroyed civilization more than a century earlier before gradually realizing that her father may be a serial killer.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Beth Lewis's book The Wolf Road was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,529,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible