Waverley by Sir Walter Scott

Waverley (original 1814; edition 1994)

by Sir Walter Scott

Set during the Jacobite rising in Scotland in 1745, this novel springs from Scott's childhood recollections and his desire to preserve in writing the features of life in the Highlands and Lowlands of Scotland. Waverley was first published anonymously in 1814 and was Scott's first novel.
Member:mohanlon
Title:Waverley
Authors:Sir Walter Scott
Info:London : Penguin Books, 1994.

Work Information

Waverley by Sir Walter Scott (Author) (1814)

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: By contrast, a modern romance set at the same time and place.

English (24)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (26)
Fiction
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
This is my first Scott, and while I did not particularly care for the book/writing, I did like the story. I think my reading was somewhat enhanced by knowing the history of the Jacobite Rebellion and the Battle of Culloden. Had I not known something about the Highlanders and their rebellion(s), I would have been lost. I was not a fan of the romance part of the novel, it seemed obligatory or contrived. I started to read the introduction, but after 9 pages of self-absorbed drivel, I skipped it. 484 pages, just barely 3 stars. 3 stars for me is your average read--can be mediocre or enjoyable, this was not necessarily enjoyable and yet not mediocre. ( )
  Tess_W | Jul 10, 2021 |
Hrdinou románu je mladý Angličan, přicházející do Skotska jako důstojník britské armády, který kolísá mezi věrností k hannoverské dynastii a romantickým obdivem pro skotské Stuartovce. Děj zachycuje významnou událost skotských dějin, jakobitské povstání roku 1745. ( )
  hvezdap4 | Sep 8, 2019 |
Sir Walter Scott's first novel, although published anonymously - none of his novels were acknowledged until late in his life.
Tells the story of an Englishman who comes to Scotland with an English regiment but ends up fighting on the side of the Jacobites against the crown. As a novel, it is most interesting for the background of the Scots and highlanders of the time. The edition I read had extensive introductions and prefaces which helped putting the book and its contents into context. ( )
  mbmackay | Jul 19, 2018 |
Waverley was Walter Scott's his first novel, and indeed is normally regarded as the first example of historical fiction in our modern conception of it – that being a story based on real historical events, with accurate details of customs, behaviours, and language of that time, but peopled with some fictitious characters and plot events to set the main historical ones in a more compelling context.
Waverley was published around sixty years after the events it purports to describe, which centre on the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745. This was an important period in British history in which the last battle was fought on British soil - primarly between the Highland clans who would return the exiled Bonnie Prince Charlie to the throne of his ancestors, and the government supporting the reigning monarch. Our hero of the novel – Edward Waverley, is caught up in these events, and torn betwen his loyalties to these two sides. Most of the novel is set in Scotland, and provides a romantic and detailed vision of the Highland way of life, customs, and characters, which were largely obliterated following the historical events of the novel. Scott himself was a keen historian of Scotland, and this novel benefits from his extensive research into the lost Scottish culture which it so richly here preserves. Indeed, these novels (Waverley, and the following novels by Scott) set off something of a craze during their days for all things Scottish, and are in large part resonsible for the image of Scotland held this day in the popular mind.
But this alone is not why Waverley deserves to be read more than it currently is. This book might face criticism of being over-detailed and not getting on with the story in places, but what we gain is more valuable. The characters here are not only memorable and individual, but they are well developed in their personalities, motivations, and show good observation and understanding of the wide range of human behaviours, personal ways of thinking, and outlooks on life. Balzac, also a master in this sort of characterisation, was a fan of Scott for this reason. Together with the appreciation of the beauty of the Scottish landscape, romantic adventures, and the inherent interest in the historical events of this time, this makes Waverley a fascinating novel for the reader if they can bear with Scott's sometimes digressional style. ( )
  P_S_Patrick | Dec 19, 2017 |

Rivas, José PabloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
‘—And must I ravel out
My weaved-up follies?’
Richard II, Act IV
‘Under which King, Bezonian? speak, or die!’
Henry IV,  Part II.

[this epigraph is found at the beginning of the 2nd volume in the 2 volume edition of Waverley.]
THESE VOLUMES
BY
AN UNKNOWN ADMIRER
OF
HIS GENIUS.
The title of this work has not been chosen without the grave and solid deliberation which matters of importance demand from the prudent.
This is the complete novel Waverley (in one or more volumes) which is the first novel written in the series of novels by Walter Scott which came to be known overall as the Waverley novels.  Many volumes of the Waverley novels include descriptions such as Waverley Novels Volume I: this is referring to the position of one of Scott's novels in that publication of the Waverley novels, not to any splitting of Waverley, the novel, into two or more volumes.

If your copy is actually Volume I of a two or three volume edition of the novel Waverley, it should be separated from this page.  If your copy is actually a complete edition of Waverley, the novel, it should be included in this page, regardless of how many volumes make up this single novel.

Legacy Library: Sir Walter Scott

Sir Walter Scott has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Sir Walter Scott's legacy profile.

See Sir Walter Scott's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140430717, 014043660X

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,462,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible