The Mysterious Benedict Society (The…

The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society (1)) (edition 2008)

by Trenton Lee Stewart (Author)

After passing a series of mind-bending tests, four children are selected for a secret mission that requires them to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.
Member:efwilliams
Title:The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society (1))
Authors:Trenton Lee Stewart (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2008), Edition: Reprint, 512 pages

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester (Anonymous user)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    The Name of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch (megan003)
    Who Could That Be at This Hour? by Lemony Snicket (Authoress)
    Authoress: Orphaned and semi-orphaned children are chosen to join a secret organization
    Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (kgriffith)
    The Bad Apple (Merits of Mischief) by T. R. Burns (foggidawn)
    Greenglass House by Kate Milford (cransell)
    The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett (megan003)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Lee counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (foggidawn)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It is a great aventure and a very funny book!!

English (242)  Italian (1)  All languages (243)
If you are looking for an adventurous book of wonders and excitement at every turn, than you can stop looking now because this book provides you with exactly that! It’s an excellent find and I would one hundred percent recommend for anybody looking for a sci-fi book plot. Before getting into the specifics, I would like to mention that what’s really great about this book is that reading other books in this series isn’t mandatory to understand its concept and overall plot. You could easily have picked up book 5 for, this series and still loved it just as much as if you have read every book leading up to it! What’s especially enjoyable about this read, is the contrast in setting, and how quickly it changes from the glorious mansion with secret rooms and unexpected secrets, to the even more mysterious school in which the students go undercover. They are expected to go undercover, in order to find out more info on the school’s methods for recruiting innocent schoolchildren, and how/what the schoolmasters are trying to get across to the whole population through brainwashing. The book itself has a very easy to go along with and understand plot, so I would definitely recommend it for all ages. However, I believe that the book requires a more in depth read, in order to get a better understanding of the characters, their emotional relationships with one another, and the hidden clues on the words of the pages that really help to foreshadow the ending. Although this is a more technical critique, I feel that for future books, a smaller font should be used because even though the book itself is great, having to flip pages nonstop every few seconds (for faster and more advanced readers), could be a hassle and should be kept in mind along with the previous things said, if your thinking about ordering this book. ( )
  Alexandra_Bratko | Feb 13, 2020 |
This book is about 4 children who are selected to go on a very important yet dangerous mission to save the world. They are brought to the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where they find themselves up against a villain that has been brainwashing children and adults through the television. Together, the children work to solve the mystery surrounding the institute and to try to rescue those that have been brainwashed. This is the first book in the series so you don't end up with much of a conclusion but will need to read the next book in the series to discover how it turns out. ( )
  KristinaGr | Feb 8, 2020 |
The Mysterious Benedict Society has been on my TBR for quite awhile. I finally got around to reading it this month and couldn't believe I'd waited so long. What a fantastic book for middle graders! The plot, including several twists and turns, was well thought out and executed. The characters were a fun mix of quirky and charming with even the "bad guys" being humorous at times. I've added the next in the series to my list and hope to get to it very soon. Loved it! ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
Oh, how I loved this one. It reminded me of The Penderwicks- a perfect mixture of old-fashioned and contemporary. I think if E. Nesbit were still around, this is what she would be writing.

I loved the characters and their "superpowers" (especially Constance!). I loved that I wasn't entirely sure how it was going to turn out, and the twists and turns were perfectly plausible. The Edward Gorey-esque line drawings complemented the story perfectly.

The only thing that bothered me was the resolution to Sticky's story. it was too tidy and ultimately unsatisfying. I don't really believe Mr. Benedict's explanation. I would have been happier if he had picked up some confidence instead.

I have two conflicting ideas about who to give this book to. Part of me says that only particular readers will appreciate its quirkiness, but another says it will appeal to those who enjoyed Lemony Snicket's books, which were an enormous blockbuster. Probably, as with so many books, lots of kids will read and enjoy it, and a few will savor and adore it. ( )
2 vote amandabock | Dec 10, 2019 |
RGG: Vibe is similar to the Lemony Snicket series and the Good and Evil series, but the writing is much better and the story has an important Orwellian 1984 science fiction vibe. Recommended especially for strong 5th Grade readers. More of an "X" than "U-W."
1 vote rgruberexcel | Nov 9, 2019 |

Trenton Lee Stewartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ellis, CarsonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roy, DelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elliot

—T.L.S.
In a city called Stonetown, near a port called Stonetown Harbor, a boy named Reynie Muldoon was preparing to take an important test.

Four clever children
One  sleepy benefactor
Bring down the curtain
(jll112)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,601,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible