The Hearts and Lives of Men (1987)

by Fay Weldon

Clifford Wexford is a darling and a devil. An entrepreneur, his unique combination of charm and daring manipulates an already fraudulent art world. But manipulation of the egos and the canvasses of those surrounding him isn't his only forte. Clifford also doles out pseudo-love and misery.

It took me years to get around to reading this, and then when I did it took me years to finish. After about half of it, I left it alone for months; maybe it's because the fate of a baby and (later) a tiny tot don't interest me all that much. Nell became more interesting to me as she grew up.

The ending of this book can hardly be considered a surprise; the suspense is in how and when Nell and her parents will find each other eventually.
By the last third of the book I was finally in its grasp. It took a while but it did happen.

The voice of the narrator is very direct, and usually friendly and wise; she tells us the story the way a kind aunt might. Still, she can be sharp, too.

Not a great book, in my view. But well worth reading. ( )
  Moem | Mar 11, 2014 |
Loved this - favourite Fay Weldon novel. ( )
  judyb65 | Feb 5, 2007 |

Fay Weldonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hedinger, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

dtv (11197)
Reader, I am going to tell you the story of Clifford, Helen, and little Nell.
The best we can do is wish that they all live happily ever after, and I think they have as good a chance as any of actually getting away with it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,996,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible