Good Morning, Midnight: A Novel by Lily…

Good Morning, Midnight: A Novel (2016)

by Lily Brooks-Dalton

English (24)  Italian (1)  All languages (25)
This story is post-apocalyptic, but with no details of what actually happened to cause the loss of life. Instead, the focus is on character development and feelings. The book is small, but I did not find it to be a quick read. The common style of two stories being followed with alternating chapters is used. The first half or so of the book dragged on a little too much for me. ( )
  niquetteb | Jan 30, 2019 |
Good Morning, Midnight is a near-future post-apocalyptic novel. Like all the best work in the genre, the story is not about how it all ended but rather the humanity of those who survived. Lily Brooks-Dalton expertly uses a quiet tone to immerse the reader in the silence of an empty, dead world. Ultimately, it is the story of what is left of the individual once all of civilization has been stripped away.

There is also an element in this book which is executed with elegance and subtlety. It would be impossible to discuss in this review without spoilers, but I will say that I admired it tremendously.

I received a complimentary copy of this book via a Goodreads giveaway. Many thanks to all involved in providing me with this opportunity. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Nov 13, 2018 |
This was a strangely quiet post-apocalyptic novel. An aging astronomer alone in the Arctic Circle and a small group of astronauts returning from Jupiter are both met with an eerily silent Earth. Without contact, the characters are left to speculate what might have happened and whether they may be the last human survivors. This book was more character-driven, as we watch them contemplate their pasts now that they are faced with an uncertain future. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
"You can't judge a book by its cover". Well, I chose this book solely by its cover, I was not disappointed. ( )
  Jolynne | Sep 17, 2018 |
This is similar in tone to my two favourite post-apocalyptic books, The Dog Stars by Pater Heller and Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, ie. melancholy, moving and somehow beautiful. It’s the end of the world as a long sigh. I’ll be thinking this book for a long time, just like I’m still thinking about The Dog Stars and Station Eleven. ( )
  EnidaV | Jul 7, 2018 |
I heave myself out of the darkness slowly, painfully. And there I am, and there he is . . . -- Jean Rhys
For Gordon Brooks
When the sun finally returned to the Arctic Circle and stained the gray sky with blazing streaks of pink, Augustine was outside, waiting.

For readers of Station Eleven and The Martian, Lily Brooks-Dalton’s haunting debut is the unforgettable story of two outsiders—a lonely scientist in the Arctic and an astronaut trying to return to Earth—as they grapple with love, regret, and survival in a world transformed.

Augustine, a brilliant, aging astronomer, is consumed by the stars. For years he has lived in remote outposts—from Chile to Hawaii to Australia—studying the sky for evidence of how the universe began. At his latest posting, in a research center in the Arctic, news of a catastrophic event arrives. The scientists are forced to evacuate, but Augustine stubbornly refuses to abandon his work. Shortly after the others have gone, Augustine discovers a mysterious child, Iris, and realizes that the airwaves have gone silent. They are alone.

At the same time, Mission Specialist Sullivan is aboard the Aether on its return flight from Jupiter. The astronauts are the first human beings to delve this deep into space, and Sully has made peace with the sacrifices required of her: a daughter left behind, a marriage ended. So far the journey has been a success. But when Mission Control falls inexplicably silent, Sully and her crewmates are forced to survive on dwindling resources, and to wonder if they will ever get home.

With Augustine trapped in the cold Arctic and Sully in the infinite vacuum of space, each faces an uncertain future and must decide what comes next. Against two forbidding yet beautiful landscapes, their stories gradually intertwine in a profound and unexpected conclusion. In crystalline prose, Good Morning, Midnight poses the most important questions: What endures at the end of the world? How do we make sense of our lives? Lily Brooks-Dalton’s captivating debut is a meditation on the power of love and the bravery of the human heart.

Advance praise for Good Morning, Midnight

Good Morning, Midnight is a remarkable and gifted debut novel. Lily Brooks-Dalton is an uncanny chronicler of desolate spaces, whether it’s the cold expanse of the universe or the deepest recesses of the human heart.”—Colson Whitehead

“What does it mean to be isolated from the ordinariness of the everyday world, yet to find the extraordinariness of being close to another human being? With imagination, empathy, and insight into unchanged and unchangeable human nature, Lily Brooks-Dalton takes us on an emotional journey in this beautiful debut.”—Yiyun Li

“A truly original novel, otherworldly and profoundly human . . . This beautiful story reminds us of our deep longing for connection—with those we love, with strangers, with ourselves. We come to understand that, across time and distance, in the face of isolation and emptiness, it is tenderness and communication that keep us tethered to each other. Good Morning, Midnight is a fascinating story, surprising and inspiring at every turn.”—Keith Scribner

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 24 Apr 2016 07:29:41 -0400)

Augustine, a brilliant, aging astronomer, refuses to abandon the research center in the Arctic when he receives news of a catastrophic event. Soon after, he discovers a mysterious child and realizes that the airwaves have gone silent. They are alone. Meanwhile, Mission Specialist Sullivan and her crew, the first astronauts to delve into deep space, discover that Mission Control is no longer on the air. Sullivan's career has cost her her marriage, and she has left her daughter behind. Will she ever get home? As Augustine and Sully face the uncertain future, their stories gradually intertwine towards a profound and unexpected conclusion, which raises questions: What endures at the end of the world? How do we make sense of our lives? A captivating meditation on the power of love and the bravery of the human heart. --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,355,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible