Home and Away: Writing the Beautiful Game by…

Home and Away: Writing the Beautiful Game

by Karl-Ove Knausgaard, Fredrik Ekelund

331484,766 (4)None

Oh my I just love love Knausgaard. Even when so much of the descriptions are of soccer and plays and players I've never heard of! But I do think Fredrik Ekelund, his co-author, should be mentioned above. After all the book is a series of letters between them. They are friends, and so in between their game commentary they talk of personal things: Knausgaard's children, Ekelund's teen-age depression, the ordinary but so beautifully described (on both their parts) quotidian details of their lives.

The time period of these letters made it especially meaningful for me. I sat in a living room from late June through mid-July with some Italians and my husband, all rabid soccer fans, waiting for my daughter to give birth to our granddaughter (who was born on one of the few days with no game), and then again in that living room with a newborn adorable little baby. Interesting to compare Italian, American, Norwegian, and Swedish (Ekelund) reactions to the various teams.

I just bought Home and Away for a friend who also writes beautifully about soccer. Maybe I can turn him into a Knausgaard fan.

I see Knausgaard has a new book coming out in August called "Autumn," but apparently we have to wait till 2018 for the English translation of the sixth and final book of My Struggle. ( )
1 vote bobbieharv | May 3, 2017 |

Karl-Ove Knausgaardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ekelund, Fredrikmain authorall editionsconfirmed

"Two world-class writers reveal themselves to be the ultimate soccer fans in these collected letters Karl Ove Knausgaard is sitting at home in Skåne with his wife, four small children, and dog. He is watching soccer on TV and falls asleep in front of the set. He likes 0-0 draws, cigarettes, coffee, and Argentina. Fredrik Ekelund is away, in Brazil, where he plays soccer on the beach and watches matches with others. Ekelund loves games that end up 4-3 and teams that play beautiful soccer. He likes caipirinhas and Brazil. Home and Away is an unusual soccer book, in which the two authors use soccer and the World Cup in Brazil as the arena for reflections on life and death, art and politics, class and literature. What does it mean to be at home in a globalized world? This exchange of letters opens up new vistas and gives us stories from the lives of two creative writers. We get under their skin and gain insight into their relationships with modern times and soccer's place in their lives, the significance the game has for people in general, and the question Was this the best soccer championship ever?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,805,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible