Coach Maddie and the Marine by Blaire Edens

Coach Maddie and the Marine

by Blaire Edens

531,436,638 (3.25)None

"Coach Maddie and the Marine" by Blaire Edens is Maddie Westerfield and Lieutenant David Sterling's story.

Maddie Westerfield's husband was a Marine and died in combat eight years ago. She is a grief counselor so that she can help other people going through lose like she did. I think that she is hiding from facing her lose by helping others deal with their grief. Maddie has not made time for dating during this time, plus she has been a caregiver for her eight year old nephew for her deployed sister.

Lieutenant David Sterling felt guilty for the past eight years after losing one of his men, which happen to be Maddie's husband. Lieutenant David thinks that he doesn't deserve happiness. Circumstances put Maddie and Lieutenant David together. They were both attracted to each from the start. But will they allow their grief and guilt to prevent them from having a chance at love?

This was a sweet story, despite dealing with grief and guilt. This does have a happy ending, but it wasn't an easy road getting there.

I have received a copy of this book from NetGalley/Entangled Publishing, for an honest review.
https://booksnuggle.wordpress.com ( )
  booksnuggle | Jan 17, 2016 |
I am giving this one a very generous three stars. The story was rather predictable in almost every way but nothing in the book really bothered me. It is a short little book that I easily finished in an evening. The book held my attention and entertained me sufficiently for a few hours.

This was a sweet little romance with very little heat. Maddie's husband died serving in the Marines. Her sister is currently on a tour of duty and Maddie is busy taking care of her nephew, Andrew. Andrew loves playing football but his team needs a coach since last year's coach is overseas. Maddie tries to find a replacement but ends up taking the job herself...with a little help from Lieutenant David Sterling.

David is a Marine. He happens to be the Marine in charge of the unit that Maddie's husband was a part of when he died. David was also a star football player in college so he offers to help Maddie learn everything she needs to know to successfully coach Andrew's team. This story does have a lot of very elementary football in the story at times. I like football so I can't say that I learned anything new and I am not sure that the lesson really helped the story.

David and Maddie are attracted to each other and there is a lot of chemistry between the pair. Maddie is not interested in dating another Marine. David feel responsibility for the death of Maddie's husband so they both try very hard to keep things platonic. When they decide to go ahead and try thing between each other, everything moves very quickly and anything steamy happens off of the page. I am of the opinion that less is more in many cases but if you are looking for a steamy romance you may want to look elsewhere.

I thought that both Maddie and David were a little too perfect. Maddie has to be the most understanding person that ever lived. David was just too perfect to be real. Nobody is that perfect. The romance is really an insta-love situation but there is some chemistry between the pair. When they have problems to solve, these perfect people do handle things very poorly but things are forgiven pretty easily.

The writing was good enough that I found myself engaged in the story despite its predictability. I did like both Maddie and David despite the fact that they were too good to be true. I thought that Andrew's character added a lot to the story and really liked the fact that his feelings were an important part of the plot.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a sweet simple story. This is the first book by Blaire Edens that I have had a chance to read but I would be open to reading some of her future works.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Entangled Publishing via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

This review was also posted at Carole's Random Life. http://carolesrandomlife.blogspot.com/ ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Jan 11, 2016 |
This is a short, quick read. Overall, I enjoyed the story. However, I felt things between Maddie and David seemed a little rushed. Also, I would've liked to have seen a little more interaction with Andrew's football team to create some humor and to add more of Maddie and David together along with the kids. I think this story would've worked better as full length novel, but still enjoyable as it is.

ARC received from Entangled Publishing in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  blsfan68 | Dec 28, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,582,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible