Catalogue of the Gupta Gold Coins in the…

Catalogue of the Gupta Gold Coins in the Bayana Hoard

by M.A.

223,660,339NoneNone
Recently added bydanoomistmatiste, kkhambadkone

No tags.

A detailed catalog of the largest hoard of Gupta Gold coins discovered in Bharatpur in the early 50s. The Maharaja of Bharatpur commissioned the most eminent Mr. Altekar to study and catalog this hoard and write a dissertation on his findings and the result is this excellent book. Whenever I read this book, I am transported back to the Golden Age of the Guptas. A few of these coins I am most fortunate to have in my collection.

The discovery of this hoard was a real goldmine (literally) for Numistmatists as many rare and unique specimen such as the Ashwamedha Yagna and Elephant Rider types were discovered. Learning about Chandragupta Vikaramaditya and Samudragupta in School is one thing but holding the coins from their reigns in your hands, well it is a true MasterCard moment.

The history of the entire lineage of Gupta Emperors and Rulers is chronicled in this book through their rich and glorious contribution to Numismatics among other things.

This is more of a reference book and not something you read once and you are done. I tend to pick up this book quite frequently and re-read some of the sections and instantly get transported to another era. A crown jewel in my numismatic library.

A few of my magic carpet moments are created by reading such stellar works and of course by studying invaluable numismatic material like Gupta Coins.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |

kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,720,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible