The Stuff of Legend: Omnibus One by Mike…

The Stuff of Legend: Omnibus One

by Mike Raicht

811,035,133 (4)None

I had an idea for a great book when I was a kid; maybe you did, too. It was about the toys in my room coming to life when I wasn't there, having incredible adventures of their own. It's a common fantasy; these days, we'd all recognize it as the starting point of the Toy Story movies. The Stuff of Legend takes that same idea and asks the question I think most kids even acknowledge in their unconscious: "You want it darker?"

The Stuff of Legend makes it very dark indeed, and that's immediately apparent in Charles Paul Wilson III's sketchy, monochromatic art. The little boy who owns these toys isn't just absent from the scene, he's been stolen away by the Boogeyman, and his toys have ventured into the Dark of his closet to save him. It's all played absolutely for real: there's a war against the Boogeyman's forces, and toys die, right away. Sometimes, you find yourself worrying when the next one will be claimed.

My childhood self wouldn't have liked this story; she would have found it frightening and upsetting. She also would have recognized the inherent mythological power it invokes. This isn't a cheap excuse to do "dark Toy Story"; it's a proper quest narrative with high stakes, traitors, and consequences. I would love to see a little more depth to the hero characters - the backstory is frustratingly slight so far - but it may not be absolutely necessary. After all, every reader knows these heroes already. We've known them since we were very small, and saw them as their true selves: not just beanbags, pieces of wood or ceramics, but our protectors.

I'll keep reading the series. It's a little slow to start, but there's a lot of potential and the world is immersive. ( )
  saroz | Feb 12, 2017 |

This hardcover collection brings together the first two volumes of the New York Times bestselling graphic novel The Stuff of Legend (The Dark and the Jungle) in one beautiful 284 page edition. The book also contains never before printed character sketches and artwork by series artist and Russ Manning award nominee, Charles Paul Wilson III. New to this second edition is the Colonel’s War Journal, which was previously only released in the Book 1: The Dark.

As Allied forces fight the enemy on Europe’s war-torn beaches, another battle begins in a child’s bedroom in Brooklyn when the nightmarish Boogeyman snatches a boy and takes him to the realm of the Dark. The child’s playthings, led by the toy soldier known as the Colonel, band together to stage a daring rescue. On their perilous mission they will confront the boy’s bitter and forgotten toys, as well as betrayal in their own ranks. The Stuff of Legend is a haunting and ultimately redemptive tale of loyalty, camaraderie, and perseverance.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 23 Jan 2016 03:28:51 -0500)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,598,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible