Stowe Away by Blythe Rippon

Stowe Away

by Blythe Rippon

621,795,984 (2.75)None

That was cool. Like I'm finding a lot of the Ylva books it was a total and utter slow burn, but good.

The reader gets a little bit of the 'after' right at the beginning of the novel and then we go back in Sam's story a little bit. She's the main character and the book, while it did have other characters, mostly revolved around her and her story.

We start with her in her first dorm meeting as a freshman at Yale. She starts as a super introvert with iffy socialization skills. But she meets some people like a girl she likes, Natalie, as well as some other friends too.

We follow her through Semester after Semester (and summers too) as she grows, changes, and such and then we get jerked out of Sam's Academic world and back into the small town of Stowe Vermont where Sam grew up.

That was my favorite part of the novel. Perhaps it was because I live in New England, but I thought that the author did a good job giving the sense of place for Vermont and that part of the novel's slow burn didn't drive me quite as crazy as the beginning part of the novel.

I liked this book. It was a heartwarming story and there were even some mostly proper uses of wicked in it too.

I got this advanced galley through Netgalley on behalf of Ylva Publishing. ( )
  DanieXJ | Feb 9, 2016 |
This book makes it not easy to get a feeling for the characters. They are rather stereotypical and... well... If you introduce a character (Samantha by the way) as socially awkward, then show her that way? I don't think of her as socially awkward. The big and many time jumps didn't help either.

After finishing I still don't know why Sam is in love with Natalie. Seriously, why? It didn't make sense and there wasn't any chemistry between them.

Part two contains the changes for Sam - I seriously thought the whole book would be about them and what'll happen after dealing/learning to live with them, but the reader experiences Sam's college life, too. Anyway, this part was better. The characters were interesting (I especially love Pauly) and Sam herself makes more sense in my eyes.

It still feels kinda unfinished. Not because of the open end, but because there were some things introduced but nothing really came out of it (Sam's poetry for example).

If the description would have been different, maybe I wouldn't have been as bored while reading. Because what you read there? That's the book. It's more of a summary than a description, I think.

Disclaimer: I was provided by Ylva Publishing with a free copy in exchange for an honest review. Thank you. ( )
  bookstogetlostin | Jan 18, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,729,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible