Idiot Brain: What Your Head Is Really Up To…

Idiot Brain: What Your Head Is Really Up To

by Dean Burnett

English (6)  Spanish (1)  All languages (7)
I fairly light overview of the idiosyncrasies of your brain and how it makes all of us the flawed piles of carbon that we all are. ( )
  hhornblower | Aug 5, 2018 |
This is a sort of anecdotal tour of the brain, with some of the science behind it. It has a lot of metaphors - taxi ranks, factories etc, but they are not always illuminating. It is written from the point of view of someone who is enthusiastically interested in the brain and also wants to inform. The explanations of brain function and how it connects to the senses and the body are quite useful, but the structure of the book is a bit rambling. ( )
  kk1 | May 21, 2018 |
Had the potential to be amazing, it isn't. ( )
  Janientrelac | Jun 12, 2017 |
A witty review of neurological science, with chapters on sensory perceptions and the brain-body connection, fear, intelligence, memory and mental illness. Burnett notes the uncertainty and ambiguity in the science and emphasizes the haphazard inefficiency of the brain and the routine confusion that marks human nature. A book that is strangely reassuring for those who have come to realize that the mind has a mind of its own.

Revolution Fistmas Holiday Ale
Nevermore Knot Stock Ale
  MusicalGlass | Dec 3, 2016 |
A highly entertaining broad overview of the various weird and wonderful things the brain does. Dean Burnett covers the egotism of memory, the painstaking work the brain does to clean up the information from the senses, what happens when things go wrong in the brain, and other interesting bits of psychology such as the cocktail-party effect. This is a good introduction to the brain and still amusing for those who know a fair bit about it. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Oct 18, 2016 |

A delightful tour of our mysterious, mischievous gray matter from neuroscientist and massively popular Guardian blogger Dean Burnett.

The brain may be the seat of consciousness and the engine of all human experience, but it’s also messy, fallible, and disorganized. For example, did you know that your memory is egotistical? That conspiracy theories and superstitions are the inevitable effects of a healthy brain? Or that alcohol can actually improve your memory? (Editor’s note: please read the book before testing that last conclusion.)

In Idiot Brain, Dr. Dean Burnett celebrates blind spots, blackouts, insomnia, and all the other downright laughable things our minds do to us, while also exposing the many mistakes we’ve made in our quest to understand how our brains actually work. This is the best kind of popular science―lucid, funny, and whip-smart―from a debut author who will be tickling funny bones and firing neurons for a long time to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 06 Feb 2016 12:14:37 -0500)

We cling to superstitions and miss things sitting right in front of us-- but that's actually just a sign of a well-meaning brain doing its best to keep you alive and healthy. Burnett takes the reader on a delightful tour of our mysterious, mischievous gray matter, and helps you understand how our brains actually work.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,854,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible