Deadgirl by B. C. Johnson

Deadgirl

by B. C. Johnson

Deadgirl (The Deadgirl Saga #1) by B.C. Johnson is a terrific fantasy book that will keep you entertained from page one! Lucy is a girl that has no luck at all. She dies, but doesn't. Murdered on her first date but is too stubborn to stay dead. This leads to such a crazy story that will have you guessing what will happen next from page to page, you will never be right! There is also someone, not a person, after her to correct the mistake of her not dying. There is also a mystery being helping her. Life gets crazy. To stay in a human form, she must vamp memories. It gets crazy, fun, suspenseful, and exciting. She jumps to "the grey" which seems to be a between world and has some strange adventures there too. Being dead sure never seemed so exciting before now. Awesome book. I had read book 2 and had to go back and read the first to see how she became this way. Both books are great! I received this book for a honest review and it in no way effected my review or rating. I can't wait for book 3! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jun 22, 2016 |
Deadgirl: Ghostlight by B.C. Johnson is book 2 in the series but can be read as a stand alone. Our gal of the story, Lucy, has died and come back to life somehow and now is a type of phantom that feeds on emotions. All of this was from book 1. Now she is trying to live a normal teenage life. The author does such a wonderful job of getting into the mind and speak of a teen girl, it was amazing! Come to find out, one of Lucy's friends is not human, there are people after her, there are serial killers on the loose and after girls from her High School. Lucy turns for help to the 'other side', the "Grey", to a wraith, to help her get rid of these murderers. Things go crazy. Not everyone is as they seem. There is so much action, emotion, humor, fantasy, and suspense that once the book is started the reader can't put it down! I didn't read book one but now I will! Can't wait for the next book! I received this book for a honest review and it in no way effected my review or rating, it is just darn good! I am going to put this in my favorite book category! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jun 5, 2016 |
Deadgirl is a very confusing, long novel yet fortunately has a very likable main character. It was worth the read. Although I must admit to skimming some of the middle. I do wish it had been shortened.

The characters, whom I didn't find extremely memorable, were still realistic. Lucy is definitely a heroine to root for, and pity. She has many struggles. Yet I did love how she could still joke once in a while. And Abraham felt like a very well written character as well. I also felt the dialogue in the book was natural. This was a relief as I have recently read a couple books with incredibly forced dialogue. This made the book easier to read.

My favorite part of the book is the ending. It is open and very well-written. Maybe there will be sequel. I know some readers won't be satisfied by the ending. I, however, absolutely loved the atmosphere in the ending. Kind of hopeful, yet with the knowledge of many struggles ahead. The ending is the most memorable part of the story.

The ideas in the book would have been great, if pulled off correctly. Unfortunately, I don't think that they were. At least not at the beginning. The transitions are really confusing. BAM. Lucy is here. BAM. Now she is here. Etc. The beginning felt very jumbled. By the end of the book I was a little more warmed up to the deadgirl thing.

I also liked Lucy's friends. While their personalities weren't completely unique, they were still interesting to read about. Especially since the end leaves you wondering about one! That is all I will say.

Overall, I did enjoy Deadgirl. It definetely did have it's flaws though, and I will not be rereading it.

*I received this book in exchange for an honest review*

3/5 bookcases ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
Books & Sweet Epiphany
www.booksandsweetepiphany.blogspot.com

Deadgirl is GOOD.
Like DEAD GOOD (Pun intended). *grin*

Seriously, the beginning caught my attention and I slept at 2 in the morning because I couldn't put Deadgirl down.

The storyline is riveting and gave a whole new twist to the 'life after death' scenario, which, in this case, life after death... was life (though I'm not really sure the kind of life Lucy is really living).

Lucy is really explored in this book and I really love her personality and charm.

However, my favourite character in this story is....PUCK!
He is an old guy in the story and he's freaking funny.

I definitely love the writing style because it has humor in it even though some parts of the story are kinda dark and horrific to some readers. (Not me! Because I love dark and scary...in writing)

B.C. Johnson is in my favourite authors list.

Not only that, Deadgirl is definitely worth the racoon eyes. *grin*

Sincerely,
Selina. ( )
  Selina.Marie.Liaw | Aug 2, 2013 |
I'm not a huge fan of occult fiction (though I do enjoy other types of fantasy and thrillers, so was not far out of my comfort zone with this book), but I was offered a free review copy of the e-book and was intrigued by the description, so I took it.

It may be my lack of familiarity with other occult fiction, but I felt that this was a truly original and ingenious book, different from anything I've ever read before. It was action-packed and kept me guessing. Information was provided at just the right pace. It was sometimes confusing, but not unreasonably so. Lucy was confused too, so it was "fair" for us to be confused along with her. The only thing I really didn't like was the ending. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll leave it at that. I spent a lot of the book wondering how it might end, and was not at all satisfied with what the author came up with. I would likely have given it 5 stars with a different (more satisfying) ending.

It does need to be edited; I noticed a handful of typos which were jarring (including at least 2 cases of "you're" for "your"). ( )
  robynkoz | Mar 31, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,803,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible