Love Changes by Eartha Watts-Hicks

by Eartha Watts-Hicks

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byKiera_loves_books

No tags.

Love Changes is the debut novel of author Eartha Watts-Hicks. It is the story of Mia and Spider, a young couple in a ten year relationship. Mia is getting fed up with Spider’s reluctance to marry her; she’s not only supporting baby Tee-bo, but Spider as well. Spider doesn’t like the fact that Mia’s best friend Romell, is always willing to be her “shoulder to lean on”; in fact, from the day that the two men came face to face back in high school, they didn’t like each other. Romell wants to be her friend, and so much more.

Eartha Watts-Hicks did a very good job with this book; it is well written, flows quite nicely, and I found myself becoming engaged with the characters; I started connecting with them, almost as if I knew them. I love the fact that the characters could be anyone we know; the storyline is relevant for this day and time. This book is about love, friendship, choices, and one of the other things I really liked about the book was the way the author weaves in 80’s and 90’s songs, along with the poetry into the book. It breathes life into it, and took me back to high school.

I would definitely recommend this book to any reader or friend, and I’m looking forward to reading its sequel, Chocolate Love.
  Kiera_loves_books | Jan 18, 2016 |

Ten years in the making, the debut novel by Eartha Watts-Hicks infuses original poetry, song lyrics from 80's and 90s popular music, and prose in the narrative of Mia Love, a twenty-six year old single mother. Mia Love quits college to support her live-in boyfriend, Spider. When she becomes pregnant, her mother, his mother, and Romell, her handsome and flirtatious best friend, all think she has made a bad decision. Now, Mia cares for both her newborn son and Spider. Tethered to a low wage job to pay the bills, she's urging him make a commitment. Spider, himself underemployed, remains resistant. This causes tension between the two, with arguments getting more and more personal. Meanwhile, "good friend" Romell is offering a shoulder (and a lot more) to lean on. What ensues is a love triangle with a unique twist, two men vying for a lady with a baby. This heartwarming story of a young woman's struggle to remain true to herself was edited by Grace F. Edwards. Love Changes received the 2013 "Literary Game Changers" award in the fiction category from the NYCHA branch of the NAACP and was selected as The New York Amsterdam News's recommended summer read for 2013. Love Changes has also been submitted for the NAACP Image Award.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 18 Jan 2016 17:44:17 -0500)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,921,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible