For One More Day by Mitch Albom

For One More Day (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Mitch Albom

Member:belanna4
Title:For One More Day
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Hyperion (2008), Paperback, 208 pages

For One More Day by Mitch Albom (2006)

English (117)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (120)
I expected to hate this book - 'what if you could spend one more day with your dead mother'. It sounded schmaltzy, weep-inducing and full-on syrup overload. I suppose it was all those things, but it was also a brilliant read which I would have read in one sitting if circumstances had allowed.

I had to get up really early this morning, and it was already way past my bedtime last night, but I kept telling myself "Just one more chapter...". This went on for over an hour. This afternoon I was devastated as I thought I'd get to finish it on my commute from work but a neighbour chose to sit beside me and chat on the bus instead.

My point is, this is one of those books that you don't have to think too hard about. From the first page you're 'in', and it's a gallop thereafter. If you've recently lost a parent this book may be too raw, but on the other hand it may give you some comfort and remind you that parents don't judge us the way we judge ourselves. They know that sometimes we're just busy living our lives.

A quick, beautiful read with some simple messages: it's never too late to right wrongs in your life, and your mother loves you no matter what. Amen to that.

4.5 stars - this is no literary masterpiece, but it's addictive nonetheless. Maybe it's all that sugary syrup... ( )
  AlisonY | Jul 31, 2015 |
What would you do if you could spend one more day with a lost loved one?
Mitch Albom never fails to move me. In sixth grade I read The Five People You Meet In Heaven, and ever since I was convinced no other book could top that one. Fast forward to now, after reading such masterpiece, For One More Day, I'm no longer sure which of the two books is my favorite. His style of writing and story telling is unlike any other. The way he develops his characters and the depth he establishes in each is enough to give them heartbeats. Albom's books force a reader to dwell on every aspect of life. For One More Day is a beautiful piece of writing that I look forward to reading again and again. I recommend everyone to grab one of Albom's books and immediately dive in; he's more than worth it.

I love you, Mitch Albom. You are like no other. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
I listened to this on CD -- it is read by the author, who does a pretty good job. I enjoyed the book, & it has a tiny twist at the end which I didn't see coming. ( )
  mfdavis | May 20, 2015 |
Its a very great story and I should say its highly recommended to all teenagers especially! I love the way Mitch Albom write a chapter to chapter of how Chick interact with himself to stand up the chance he got to fix all the wrongdoing. Mitch succeed to make me tear apart in some chapter and the fact, I finish up this fiction in one night! ( )
  tajuddinabd | Mar 26, 2015 |
This book struck very close to home for me. I found a lot of truth in the story and I thought it was well written. After reading this book, I want to read the rest of Mitch Albom's books. ( )
  Anietzerck | Dec 28, 2014 |
This book is dedicated, with love, to Rhoda Albom, the mommy of the mummy.
This is a story about a family and, as there is a ghost involved, you might call it a ghost story.

“Every family is a ghost story . . .”

Mitch Albom mesmerized readers around the world with his number one New York Times bestsellers, The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie. Now he returns with a beautiful, haunting novel about the family we love and the chances we miss.

For One More Day is the story of a mother and a son, and a relationship that covers a lifetime and beyond. It explores the question: What would you do if you could spend one more day with a lost loved one?

As a child, Charley “Chick” Benetto was told by his father, “You can be a mama’s boy or a daddy’s boy, but you can’t be both.” So he chooses his father, only to see the man disappear when Charley is on the verge of adolescence.

Decades later, Charley is a broken man. His life has been crumbled by alcohol and regret. He loses his job. He leaves his family. He hits bottom after discovering his only daughter has shut him out of her wedding. And he decides to take his own life.

He makes a midnight ride to his small hometown, with plans to do himself in. But upon failing even to do that, he staggers back to his old house, only to make an astonishing discovery. His mother -- who died eight years earlier -- is still living there, and welcomes him home as if nothing ever happened.

Albom has said his relationship with his own mother was largely behind the story of the book, and that several incidents in “For One More Day” are actual events from his childhood.

In an inspirational debut novel by the author of Tuesdays with Morrie, Charles "Chick" Benetto, grieving over the death of his mother, uses alcohol as a crutch to deal with his loneliness, isolation, and depression and the disintegration of his life, until an encounter with his mother's ghost brings him new awareness and leads him to attempt to put his life back together.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,145,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible