For One More Day by Mitch Albom

For One More Day (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Mitch Albom

4,865131950 (3.73)93
Member:belanna4
Title:For One More Day
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Hyperion (2008), Paperback, 208 pages

For One More Day by Mitch Albom (2006)

English (128)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (131)
If you had an opportunity, just once, to go back and fix whatever it was that you did wrong in your life, what would you do? Would you go back and change things? Or would you let the opportunity pass?

Charley Benedetto worshiped his father . . . until the day the man disappeared. Alone with his mother, the eleven-year-old finds himself resentful of her efforts and yearns for a complete family.

Years later, Charley’s life, filled with alcohol and regret, falls apart when he loses his job and walks away from his family. Discovering that his daughter has chosen not to include him in her wedding brings him to the brink of suicidal despair.

But when he returns to his old house, he finds his mother, who passed away eight years earlier, living there as if nothing had happened. Is it possible to have one more day with a lost loved one? Can Charley find a way to fix the mistakes of his past?

A haunting tale of family, of mistakes, and of regrets, this sentimental, nostalgic, magical tale will keep readers enthralled.

Recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Nov 18, 2016 |
I LOVED IT.

I loved the little twist in the end, I loved how the story was written, I loved how it unfolded.
I loved how it made you think twice of your actions after reading it, and probably make you appreciate the people in your life more.

It is very simply written, but carries an amazing message. Like Charley, there is someone I deeply cared about who died without me having a chance to say goodbye. The second last chapter touched my heart deeply and throughout reading that chapter, I had my ballet teacher, Mr Gino, in my mind. I couldn't help thinking of all the things I would say to him if I had One More Day. I felt like going to my mum's room, at 5.30 in the morning, just to hug her and thank her for all that she's done for me; not like I haven't told her before, though.

I felt like just telling everyone what they mean to me after reading this book. This is a book that touches you deeply, and leaves a lasting impact in your life.
Well, at least I think so.

If I ever come across other books from Mitch, I'm definitely buying them. ( )
  KrystleLow | Oct 27, 2016 |
I wish I could give this book to Gavin and have him read it. Maybe someday when he is older. Filled with such good insight. This poor boy chased after his dad's approval all his life, and treated his mom like crap. Later he grows up and sees all the story, not just part. Listened on audio, read by author.. great! ( )
  Indygirl | Aug 4, 2016 |
A quick undemanding read, but not very engaging and overly sentimental. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
Probably enjoyable even to non-readers, for me it was just 'fine'.
Review: https://weneedhunny.wordpress.com/2015/08/22/for-one-more-day-mitch-albom/
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
This book is dedicated, with love, to Rhoda Albom, the mommy of the mummy.
This is a story about a family and, as there is a ghost involved, you might call it a ghost story.

“Every family is a ghost story . . .”

Mitch Albom mesmerized readers around the world with his number one New York Times bestsellers, The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie. Now he returns with a beautiful, haunting novel about the family we love and the chances we miss.

For One More Day is the story of a mother and a son, and a relationship that covers a lifetime and beyond. It explores the question: What would you do if you could spend one more day with a lost loved one?

As a child, Charley “Chick” Benetto was told by his father, “You can be a mama’s boy or a daddy’s boy, but you can’t be both.” So he chooses his father, only to see the man disappear when Charley is on the verge of adolescence.

Decades later, Charley is a broken man. His life has been crumbled by alcohol and regret. He loses his job. He leaves his family. He hits bottom after discovering his only daughter has shut him out of her wedding. And he decides to take his own life.

He makes a midnight ride to his small hometown, with plans to do himself in. But upon failing even to do that, he staggers back to his old house, only to make an astonishing discovery. His mother -- who died eight years earlier -- is still living there, and welcomes him home as if nothing ever happened.

Albom has said his relationship with his own mother was largely behind the story of the book, and that several incidents in “For One More Day” are actual events from his childhood.

In an inspirational debut novel by the author of Tuesdays with Morrie, Charles "Chick" Benetto, grieving over the death of his mother, uses alcohol as a crutch to deal with his loneliness, isolation, and depression and the disintegration of his life, until an encounter with his mother's ghost brings him new awareness and leads him to attempt to put his life back together.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,834,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible