For One More Day by Mitch Albom

For One More Day (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Mitch Albom

Member:belanna4
Title:For One More Day
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Hyperion (2008), Paperback, 208 pages

For One More Day by Mitch Albom (2006)

English (125)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (128)
Chick chose to be a daddy’s boy only to have his father disappear when Chick was on the verge of adolescence. His life is crap and the last straw is when his only daughter has left him out of her wedding. He goes back to his hometown, with the intention of taking his life, but after failing to do so, he returns to his old house. His mother, having died eight years earlier, is still living there and invites him in as if nothing happened. ( )
  jenn88 | Feb 14, 2016 |
For One More Day by Mitch Albom

★★★★

What would you do if you had one more day with a loved one who has passed away? I don’t know about you but it’s a question that has gone through my head. The “what if?” of it all. This book focuses on a son and his mother’s relationship, even after her death.

I’ve read several Albom novels and as usual, I was not disappointed by this book. For One More Day is a short, easy read but packs a powerful punch. I have not lost my mom, as this book focuses on, but I have lost many others that I wish I just had that one extra day with, to say those things and do those things I always wish I had. The whole novel tugged on my heartstrings. I really enjoyed this story and it made me think.
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
Another wonderful story by this author showing the importance of families, forgiveness and the eternal love of a mother. A touching read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book is dedicated, with love, to Rhoda Albom, the mommy of the mummy.
This is a story about a family and, as there is a ghost involved, you might call it a ghost story.

“Every family is a ghost story . . .”

Mitch Albom mesmerized readers around the world with his number one New York Times bestsellers, The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie. Now he returns with a beautiful, haunting novel about the family we love and the chances we miss.

For One More Day is the story of a mother and a son, and a relationship that covers a lifetime and beyond. It explores the question: What would you do if you could spend one more day with a lost loved one?

As a child, Charley “Chick” Benetto was told by his father, “You can be a mama’s boy or a daddy’s boy, but you can’t be both.” So he chooses his father, only to see the man disappear when Charley is on the verge of adolescence.

Decades later, Charley is a broken man. His life has been crumbled by alcohol and regret. He loses his job. He leaves his family. He hits bottom after discovering his only daughter has shut him out of her wedding. And he decides to take his own life.

He makes a midnight ride to his small hometown, with plans to do himself in. But upon failing even to do that, he staggers back to his old house, only to make an astonishing discovery. His mother -- who died eight years earlier -- is still living there, and welcomes him home as if nothing ever happened.

Albom has said his relationship with his own mother was largely behind the story of the book, and that several incidents in “For One More Day” are actual events from his childhood.

In an inspirational debut novel by the author of Tuesdays with Morrie, Charles "Chick" Benetto, grieving over the death of his mother, uses alcohol as a crutch to deal with his loneliness, isolation, and depression and the disintegration of his life, until an encounter with his mother's ghost brings him new awareness and leads him to attempt to put his life back together.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,265,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible