Pet Friendly by Sue Pethick

Pet Friendly (2015)

by Sue Pethick

I found this book on a sale shelf at my local library. I was charmed by the cute dog on the cover and didn't read far enough on the back blurb to realize it had a paranormal theme (something I don't usually enjoy). This one didn't overdo the paranormal theme--probably helped by the fact that many of the main characters don't really believe in the paranormal. Emma seems to go along with it because it was what her aunt and Clifton decided on as a theme in the past and she doesn't want to alienate her paying customers who come for that sort of thing.

Emma doesn't seem to be a very good business woman. I suspected someone was stealing from her or undermining her long before anyone in the book seemed to (except Clifton, but he had his reasons). She has ideas but all of them are going to cost her more money--money she doesn't have--rather than trying to work out a new theme idea with what she's already got. I kind of felt like she doesn't see the forest for the trees.

Archie is a houdini--he manages to escape from lots of places throughout the book--a garage, a car, locked rooms, a cottage. He also has been taught tricks by Todd's uncle. He seems like a cute, loving dog, but I don't think I could handle the constant escaping.

It's a cute story, but it's obvious from the get-go that Todd and Gwen don't suit each other and as a reader, you kind of figure that they're not going to make it to the altar with each other. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Mar 19, 2018 |
To Willie, the best darned dog a girl ever had.
It was odd seeing a dog at a man's funeral, Todd thought as he glanced at the little mutt sitting in the pew, but that was Uncle Bertie for you--odd.

"Todd Dwyer, a successful app designer, wasn't planning to adopt a dog, but when his Uncle Bertie dies and leaves his little mutt Archie homeless, Todd can't help welcoming the pooch home ... When things go awry the first night, [Todd's girlfriend] insists that Todd give Archie to his sister Claire, whose rural home is a days drive away. Todd and Archie hit the road, but circumstances compel them to make a detour to a quaint hotel run by Todd's childhood friend, Emma Carlisle. As it happens, the hotel is hosting a colorful group of ghost hunters in town for a paranormal conference, and when Archie starts howling into the air vent, it isn't long before their road trip turns bumpier than an unpaved country lane"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,937,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible