Creed by James Herbert

Creed (original 1990; edition 2011)

by James Herbert (Author)

Sometimes horror is in the mind. And sometimes it's real. Telling the difference isn't always easy. It wasn't for Joe Creed. He'd just photographed the unreal. Now he had to pay the price. Because he always thought that demons were just a joke. .
Member:jkrzok
Title:Creed
Authors:James Herbert (Author)
Info:Pan (2011), Edition: Reprint, 412 pages

Creed by James Herbert (1990)

The thing I enjoyed most about this book was the fact that the protagonist was a paparazzo, and not a heroic one at that. It lost me a little where the supernatural element was concerned, but it was still an entertaining read.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
4.5 stars!

This book was a rocking good time! Any fan of 80's style horror would dig this novel.

We have a paparazzo named Creed that is generally disliked. He is greedy, selfish and obnoxious. Thing is, you are rooting for him anyway. Mr. Herbert created a deeply flawed, but likable protagonist.

The best part, next to the 80's pulp feel, is the humor. Herbert somehow manages to have you laughing, sometimes even in the midst of dire situations. Then there's a few inside jokes; at one point Creed spots a rat and thinks: "Didn't he read somewhere that rats were taking over the city? Good idea for a book there. Somebody ought to do it." Anyone familiar with James Herbert's works chuckles right there.

I'm not going to get into the plot, the description does that. I will say that this book stoked up my Herbert jones and I can't wait to read more of his books. Highly recommended for fans of 80's horror.
For a good time, call Creed! ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
This was... interesting. It definitely had some flaws, but the nature of the protagonist/hero, being a sleazeball that you need to root for, gave it a unique flavor, and it was overall a fun read. ( )
  .Monkey. | May 10, 2019 |
Good book, enjoyed the build up and the ending but the middle got a bit strange for me, and dont get me wrong i love strange! just wasnt my kind of strange haha would definatly read more James Herbet however, loved the writing style, bit cheeky in places referencing his own work ;P looking forward to reading the rats at some stage! ( )
  Rachel_Sanders | Jan 4, 2016 |
It was ok but a bit of a slog ( )
  imyknott | Jun 12, 2012 |

James Herbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beauvais, DenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Demons today are a shoddy lot...
My special thanks to Richard Young, true paparazzo, but also true gentleman (and certainly nothing like Joe Creed, the dubious 'hero' of this novel). Richard's help in research has been invaluable. My thanks also to three other photographers - David Benett for more pap stories, Bob Knight for technical advice and David Morse for use of a certain mews house.
JAMES HERBERT
Sussex, 1990
The first thing you ought to know about Joseph Creed is that he's a sleaze of the First Order - maybe even of the Grand Order, considering his trade.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,443,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible