Love's Bounty by Yolanda Wallace

Love's Bounty

by Yolanda Wallace

312,001,085 (4)None
Recently added byAussiewoman, becker, DanieXJ
2015 (1) ebook (2) family (1) fiction (1) fishing (1) frombellatoylva (1) lesbian (2) lgbt (1) MA (1) ME (1) netgalley (1) PTSD (1)

Okay, so I picked this to read mostly because I really like reading stories/novels set in Maine. And this one was very cool and I'm glad that I decided to give it a try. While I was reading it I felt like I was in Maine for the most part, and I felt like the characters were from Maine and Massachusetts respectively.

And while I thought the story was cool, the characters were definitely my favorite part of the novel. Jake, a lobster boat Captain in Portland (the Mary Margaret. The name which made me chuckle because in this and the previous book I read 'Playing in Shadow' both had Once Upon a Time (the TV show) references in them, although I think that this name wasn't supposed to be an allusion to the show). Jake is looking for a crew to crew the Mary Margaret for the season, and Shy appears looking for a job. Shy is from South Boston, but she gets sent to Portland Maine by her Uncle because he and Shy's mother want her to get away from her 'friends' in the neighborhood who they believe are a bad influence on Shy. Jake and Shy start as boss and worker, but through the novel they get closer (of course, this is a romance novel after all), but they also wind up helping each other find who they are, or find who they are again.

As I said, the characters were great. Not just the main characters, but both Jake's supporting characters like Kate (the owner of the Mary Margaret) and Tess (Kate's wife and the owner of a bar/restaurant in town), their kids Morgan (a cute teen) and Pete (a burgeoning Portland Sea Dogs pitcher), and Shy's supporting characters like her Uncle Christiano and her Mom. Even Lucy, Shy's good 'friend', was an awesomely layered character.

I have to say that I was surprised at the event that was causing Jake's problems. I think that it was surprsing to me because for me (a person from MA) the incident (I won't spoil it here and I was surprised I didn't catch onto what it was earlier in the book) still feels like it happened yesterday even though the two year anniversary is coming up in mere days. Wallace wrote about it so well though.

And then there was the Red Sox stuff. I'm a sucker for a book with Red Sox fans in it, and this one definitely had some Red Sox fans. So, now my big question about the book would have to be, was Wallace talking about Rusney with the Rookie of the Year comment (since Mookie isn't eligible because he played too much last year, bummer). Anyway. Go Red Sox!!

I got this advanced galley through Netgalley on behalf of Bold Strokes Books. ( )
  DanieXJ | Apr 10, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,597,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible