A Scot in the Dark by Sarah MacLean

A Scot in the Dark

by Sarah MacLean

2081184,703 (3.6)4

This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

A Scot in the Dark is the second book in the Scandal and Scoundrel's trilogy and somehow I missed out on reading this book and had just realized it so when I saw this book available at my local library, I just knew that I had to pick it up and I am so glad that I did. I will admit that I adore Sarah MacLean, but some of her books have been a hit or miss and mostly due to reading engagement. So I decided that audiobooks are the BEST way to go and she has such a wonderful narrator for this story: Justine Eyre. Justine is fabulous in narrating historical romance especially if you love historical romance.

A Scot in the Dark begins when our heroine, Lillian Hargrove, has gotten caught up in a scandal of her own making. Lillian was approached and courted by a handsome young artist and Derek was a man she thought she was in love with but it turned out it was quite opposite on his side of things. When he invites her to a presentation of his artwork he announces he will be revealed a nude piece and Lillian is revealed as the mysterious lady and that the painting will be viewed by the public. And now there is a scandal surround Lillian and not to mention her heart and dreams for the future have been shattered.

The Duke of Warnick, a Scot, has recently come into the title and he despises everything english and for good reason. But when he suddenly learns that he has a ward and that she is caught up in a scandal, he heads down to London to handle the situation so he can return home. Even though he is fascinated by Lillian, with her passion and her fighting spirit he knows the best course of action is to get her married especially when he learns that its something she really desires but is afraid to trust anyone else. But Warnick is not wanting to admit his true feelings for Lillian since he is her guardian and doesn't feel like its appropriate. But Lillian doesn't want marriage and she wants to find a way out of her own mess but her heart become intertwined with Warnick and she only needs to convince him that their love is worth the risk....

Listen to me. You do not let them win. Not ever. There is nothing in this world they like more than tearing a woman down for having too much courage. And there is nothing in the world that makes them angrier than not being able to break her.

A Scot in the Dark was simply a wonderful story and I had so many fun times with this book a lot more than I expected and after Justine's performance in waking up this story with zest and passion, I am definitely going to listen to future books by MacLean because this narrator is superb. Now I will admit that this story does start out a bit slowly, but it quickly picks up speed and when you reach about 30 percent, is where the story really pulls in the reader to the story. I love Guardian/Ward romances and this one was so well written. I really loved the set up where Lillian posed for a nude by an artist....this is always something I enjoy reading especially in a historical romance. It shows that Lillian was empowered by her own sensuality and not ashamed of the desire she felt or her body and I truly loved that about her. She has her dreams and fights for them even if that dream is to find a man to love and have a family together. This book shows how beautiful that dream is and worth searching and finding the right man for the job.

We do get some fun appearances with other characters from fellow books which was SUPER fun and it made me want to re-read this trilogy for sure. I am always captivated by how Sarah MacLean writes her friendships and they just take in Lillian right away and accept her since they have scandals attached to their names too but in the name of love. We see how she has to find some peace with her past and accept the friendships with these ladies.

The romance that developed between Lillian and Warnick is so detailed and well done in the feels department. Now, this author is superb when writing fun bantering and boy these two just made me so happy all the time even when they were fighting. I just had a fun time with these two and see them working out their differences. They definitely have different views and boy Lillian is a fighter and she gets a bit creative with how she fights back and I loved it. I enjoyed seeing these two really find some common ground eventually and once they hit that then all is far in love and war. Because when these two love they do it HARD and STRONG!! I wanted these two to find their happy ever after so badly and it takes time and pain but they do get there and it was the journey to their HEA that made this book so moving. I was so involved in their romance and seeing them find what they needed in each other.

Overall I found A Scot in the Dark to be a sensual, full of giggles and delicious sexual tension to win your hearts!!! A MUST READ FOR MACLEAN LOVERS ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 17, 2019 |
With loads of laughs and words of wisdom, Sarah MacLean takes readers on a wickedly entertaining romance between an overbearing brute and his unwanted ward a naive vixen caught up in a surprising scandal. Irresistible, with lovable characters and scenarios reminiscent in minute ways of Beauty and the Beast. ( )
  Lashea677 | Feb 16, 2019 |
Link to full review below! I am beginning to think that there isn't a book Maclean writes that I won't love... This review was originally posted on The Book Disciple ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
A Scot in the Dark by Sarah MacLean
Scandal & Scoundrel #2

4 Stars - This was a good read. Lily was a strong woman who started to regret her actions but in the end embraced them. I liked that. I was looking forward to Alec’s story after reading the first book in this series, however, he turned out a little different than I expected. While I truly enjoyed how much chemistry was between Lily and him.. His hard-headedness for thinking he wasn’t good enough for her - got tiresome. There were some great funny parts, some totally sigh worthy parts and of course a wonderful happy ending. I wonder who the next story in this series will be about?

~Paragraphs and Petticoats~

Original review posted at: http://paragraphsandpetticoats.blogspot.ca/ ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
I read this because its keeps getting recommended by the Get Booked podcast--and the author was a guest on a romance-themed episode. However...it missed the mark for me.

Dislikes: repetitive speed bumps, alpha males, super detailed sex scenes.

Likes: MacClean writes great characters with witty banter.

But the book is so so long, with constant problems for the couple with little development for the story or the relationship. ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
For the scandalous girls
March 1829

Bernard Settlesworth, Esquire, believed that name was destiny.

Lonesome Lily Turned Scandalous Siren

Miss Lillian Hargrove has lived much of her life alone in a gilded cage, longing for love and companionship. When an artist offers her pretty promises and begs her to pose for a scandalous portrait, Lily doesn't hesitate...until the lying libertine leaves her in disgrace. With the painting now public, Lily has no choice but to turn to the one man who might save her from ruin.

Highland Devil turned Halfhearted Duke

The Duke of Warnick loathes all things English, none more so than the aristocracy. It does not matter that the imposing Scotsman has inherited one of the most venerable dukedoms in Britain—he wants nothing to do with it, especially when he discovers that the unwanted title comes with a troublesome ward, one who is far too old and far too beautiful to be his problem.

Tartan Comes to Town

Warnick arrives in London with a single goal: get the chit married and see her become someone else's problem, then return to a normal, quiet life in Scotland. It's the perfect plan, until Lily declares she'll only marry for love...and the Scot finds that there is one thing in England he likes far too much...

"Miss Lillian Hargrove has lived much of her life alone in a gilded cage, longing for love and companionship. When an artist offers her pretty promises and begs her to pose for a scandalous portrait, Lily doesn't hesitate . . .until the lying libertine leaves her in disgrace. With the painting now public, Lily has no choice but to turn to the one man who might save her from ruin. The Duke of Warnick loathes all things English, none more so than the aristocracy. It does not matter that the imposing Scotsman has inherited one of the most venerable dukedoms in Britain--he wants nothing to do with it, especially when he discovers that the unwanted title comes with a troublesome ward, one who is far too old and far too beautiful to be his problem. Warnick arrives in London with a single goal: get the chit married and see her become someone else's problem, then return to a normal, quiet life in Scotland. It's the perfect plan, until Lily declares she'll only marry for love . . . and the Scot finds that there is one thing in England he likes far too much" -- page 4 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,630,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible