Breaking Measures by Emma Raveling

Breaking Measures

by Emma Raveling

212,551,640 (4)None
Recently added byRobertowiz, Pet12

Leila Cates, a concert pianist about to make her big break, ends up being the prime suspect in her boy-friend's murder and sets out to prove her innocence with the unlikely aid of Orion Frazier, one of the detectives on the case.
Breaking Measures is the prequel novella to Emma Raveling's forthcoming novel A Woven Silence. As such, it was a very quick read, but provided an excellent introduction to Leila Cates and her privileged upbringing and messed up family. I found the setting in the classical music scene quite unique. This was my first book by Emma Raveling. Her writing style is very descriptive and lyrical and suited the setting.
Her protagonist, Leila, came across as slightly naive, which - to a degree - is understandable due to her seriously overbearing parents and the isolated way in which she grew up. Although I was pretty sure who the killer was from early on, I just couldn't work out the motive, so that left plenty of mystery and suspense to keep me engaged throughout. I enjoyed the ending and actually felt some empathy for Leila in the end, which I had failed to feel throughout the rest of the book. It'll be interesting to see what Leila's life will be like in A Woven Silence.
Thanks to the author and publisher for providing me with a copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Pet12 | Jan 20, 2016 |

Emma Raveling is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,601,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible