Dreams of the Queen (The Brajj, #1) by…

Dreams of the Queen (The Brajj, #1)

by Jacqueline Patricks

*This book was reviewed for Lola's Blog Tours

***Warning- graphic depictions of rape

Patricksโ€™ Dreams of the Queen is an out of this world adventure quite unlike any other. First of The Brajj Trilogy, it has a very Dr Whovian and Stargate-esque nature. Cassiopeia Baros is a physicist at MIT working on a project designed to create and maintain a stable wormhole. Despite a few hiccoughs in the beginning, Baros and her team do indeed manage to generate an anchored and durable wormhole. When preliminary probe forays suggest the other side is safe for humans, Baros and a handful of scientists are sent to investigate. Despite grumblings from both sides, a military support team is sent along with them, which turns out to be lucky, as the other side is less friendly than first anticipated.

The exploration team is given aid by a contingent known as the Brajj, the leader of whom Cass recognises from her dreams. And Jeamon seems to recognise her too. In fact, he says he has come to meet her, and return her to the City, for her Ascension. Cass has no idea what he is talking about, but, cut off from the way home, she and her peers need shelter and safety so they elect to go with the Brajj. What they learn is something none expected.

Patricks' does a great job of presenting certain characters one way, setting you up to like/dislike them, and then flips that later on. It certainly keeps a reader on their toes after the first time, wondering who you (the reader) can really trust. Things do jump perspective between characters, generally viewed as a 'badโ€™ thing, but here they segue well. I had no trouble following along and keeping track of things. Whether intended or no, this actually flowed well with how Patricks set the reader up to view the characters, then flipped it, and with the full nature of the story. Some things I cannot discuss here without spoilers, but the fluid perspective shifting supports the notion in quantum physics of a mutable and interconnected reality, a notion important to the story.

๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š Highly recommended, especially if you are a fan of Dr Who or Stargate, or enjoy sci-fi that involves physics experiments gone awry. ( )
  PardaMustang | Jun 3, 2017 |
One of the lines of the book description is: "Serious sci-fi with a mature romance, violence, language, and some gore--this is not a fluffy bunny." I would have to agree! Danger, adventure, sci-fi, and aliens. Add some romance and a bit of destiny, and you've got the makings for a great story.

Cass's incredible story is exciting, and has several nail-biting points, as well as some sweet parts. I also really enjoyed Jeamon's character. All the characters are interesting though, and pull you into this awesome adventure. This book is well-rounded, and certainly one that will stick with you after you've finished it.

Overall, I enjoyed this story. It's full of adventure, mystery, danger, and some awesome aliens. What I really enjoyed though, was the fact that this is a very deep and intelligent book. By that, I mean it would be best appreciated by intelligent people, science lovers, and people who would appreciate the depth and intellect behind the story. I'm not sure this book would be appreciated much by people who don't enjoy sci-fi (leaning more toward the science part). I would recommend it to anyone who thinks it sounds good, because it is!

*I was given an eCopy of this book, from the author, to read in exchange for an honest review. ( )

Rose.Wallin | Jan 20, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,933,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible