The Awakening of Sunshine Girl (The Haunting…

The Awakening of Sunshine Girl (The Haunting of Sunshine Girl) (2016)

by Paige McKenzie

I read this immediately after finishing the first book in the series. I found this one to be actually worse than the first because of its completely over-used plot type. Maybe the publishers force YA authors to conform to a specific formula? In any case, you have the orphan who's completely clumsy and plain, yet also beautiful and tasked with saving the world. Then there are the two boys she likes, each with varying degrees of torment in their heart from their past. Fortunately it was a very quick read so I didn't have to invest much time into the novel. When the next book comes out, I very much doubt I'll bother with it. ( )
  LoveOfMuffins4820 | Aug 16, 2016 |
The second book in the series takes Sunshine to Mexico for training with her mentor and father. Sunshine doesn't know if she can trust her father but spends most of her time feeling conflicted about being a luiseach and about her feelings for Nolan and the new boy she meets in Mexico. The story has little of the creepiness of the first book and feels more like a standard teen coming-of-age novel. The final chapters of the book are a whirlwind and too much is left unexplained. An annoying error in plotting/editing occurs at a semi-crucial point in the book, too. (See spoiler alert.) Overall, Sunshine is still a likable character but this installment of the series is likely to leave most readers confused, possibly bored, and probably unsatisfied.
***SPOILER ALERT ***

Part of the story revolves around a new character that Nolan meets in a coffee shop. On page 205, the new girl notes to herself (and the reader): "-- to Nolan's credit, he's never actually told me Aidan's name --" so, when Nolan DOES say Aidan's name on the very next page, it seems notable. But on page 241, when the new girl mentions Aidan, Nathan immediately becomes suspicious, saying, "I never told you his name." But he did! 35 pages ago! This is one of the turning points in the book, when Nolan finally realizes the new girl is not just another student interested in ghosts. Is it a major deal? No. But I hate when writers and editors make these kinds of mistakes! ( )
  bookappeal | May 29, 2016 |
I don't remember when I first saw The Haunting of Sunshine Girl, maybe on Barnes and Noble's website or even their shelves. All I knew was, the cover was unique, off in a way and the girl was lovely. I tend to gravitate towards pretty things... as marketing is supposed to incite, especially if there's a hideous creature, I'd have probably wanted it even more! LOL Then as the book sat on my shelf, in queue, I found out The Awakening of Sunshine Girl was on the way. So I pre-ordered it and waited. While waiting, I conducted research on Paige McKenzie and discovered: I live under a rock - she's so famous! (an internet sensation!)

Since I finished the first book so fast, I knew I'd run through this one just as quick. The Awakening of Sunshine Girl picked up where book one left off. Well, right after the holiday. It didn't move as well as the first; it was rather slow but I held on, knowing the ending would be so worth it. It's also obvious, there will be another book before this story is over.
In the second book, Sunshine gains a lot of knowledge and experience. There's an odd plot going on in this book and I almost lost interest. This one just didn't keep me riveted to the pages as book one, but there was a lot to take in. I also didn't understand why they had to go across the world to 'train'.

*For the full review and review of book one: http://tinyurl.com/zk3x9ju
**Books are from my personal library for review. ( )
  AReneeHunt | May 17, 2016 |
For my family.
You know who you are, and you know what you did.
I sensed it the instant she passed her test.

"Sunshine Griffith can communicate with ghosts. Even more amazing, she recently discovered--with the help of her would-be boyfriend, Nolan--that's she's a luiseach, one of an ancient race of creatures who have lived among humans for centuries, protecting them from dark spirits and helping them move on to the afterlife. Now, Sunshine's powers are awakening and she feels spirits everywhere--intense and sometimes overwhelming. Eager to get her supernatural abilities under control, Sunshine agrees to begin training with her mentor, her estranged father Aidan. He takes her to an abandoned compound deep in the Mexican jungle. But what she learns there about her powers, and her family history, turns out to be more terrifying than Sunshine could have imagined. Can anything--Aiden's experiments, her friendship with another luiseach named Lucio, even Nolan's research--prepare Sunshine to face the frightening woman who haunts her dreams, and to finally learn the truth about the rift that threatens the future of the luiseach and all of humankind?"--Jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,571,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible