The Edge of Nowhere WR: A Tale of Tragedy,…

The Edge of Nowhere WR: A Tale of Tragedy, Love, Murder and Survival

by C. H. Armstrong

1141,165,708 (4.1)None

I love reading about how Victoria survive her life when she was young until she gets older. Definitely a heart warming story and I highly recommend this to all my friends. ( )
  anacskie | Dec 22, 2017 |
  anacskie | Dec 22, 2017 |
Get this in audio if you possibly can.
When I requested a free audiobook of The Edge of Nowhere from Boom!, I had no idea that I would be walking round the house with my lap top (having failed to download it onto my Kindle Fire), looking for housework to do, so I could continue to listen.
I was completely gripped by this amazing woman from Oklahoma who had survived the Dust Bowl and The Depression and still managed to raise fourteen children.

I had obviously heard of The Depression that lasted through most of the thirties, but I was not aware of The Dust Bowl, which coincided with this time of shortages and unemployment, and turned areas of America and Canada into virtual wastelands, exacerbating the poverty and starvation.

The author's grandmother lived through these catastrophes, so she decided to research the period and combine history with family narratives to produce an astounding book that really manages to highlight what it took to survive these awful times.
Although it reads as pretty much a catalogue of disasters, beginning when Victoria is just 8 years old, the heroine is so unbelievably strong that she always finds a way to carry on whatever. I shared in her joys and my tears welled through her losses, and now I miss her as if I've lost a friend.

I should also make mention of the narrator, Beth A. McIntosh, whose Oklahoma accent gave the story even more authenticity. If you get the opportunity to listen to the audio version, I would highly recommend it.

"I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review." ( )
  DubaiReader | Apr 23, 2017 |
There were parts of this book where I could almost hear my own mother speaking. She told me of the days the dust blew so much you’d get lost if you were outside, and about wetting sheets and blankets to put over doors and windows. These were the days of true horror, of being absolutely helpless in the face of Mother Nature during what was termed as the Dirty Thirties. My heart broke for Victoria as she wrote the letter telling her story. The opposite of strong is weak, and Victoria would not allow herself to be weak when she had a passel of kids to feed and clothe. She did the best she could, given the circumstances, and those who found fault with her decisions were never faced with those same decisions. That second husband deserved what he got and kudos to Elizabeth for helping Victoria achieve that mission. At the last page, last paragraph, and last word I found myself hoping that Victoria’s kids and grandkids would read her letter and understand why she seemed hard and unloving, and perhaps even find it in their hearts to forgive her. My congratulations to Armstrong for writing a book about a difficult time in the U.S. Midwest that probably created a lot of stories like this that have never been repeated. There is no shame in protecting your own by any means possible and that is the lesson Armstrong teaches us in a very moving book.
~ Linda Thompson, Host of www.TheAuthorsShow.com ( )
  lst0222 | Jan 19, 2016 |

C. H. Armstrong is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,792,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible