Chickenhawk by Arnaldo Lopez

Chickenhawk

by Arnaldo Lopez

711,615,808 (4)None

I need to warn potential readers that this book starts off with a pretty horrific murder. After that, the race is on to catch the perpetrator.
What separates this novel from others in the genre is the skill with which the author weaves the story of that race. The pacing of the novel is nicely done—not too slow, nor is it a breathless dash. The descriptions of the environments in which the novel takes place are very well done, allowing me to easily lose myself in the story. The characters are nicely developed and believable. There are some very nice plot twists that add to the enjoyment of the story. One of those well-done twists involved having the detectives dealing with city politics as well as the killer. As for the other twists, well, I don’t want to spoil your enjoyment of finding them out for yourself.
The only negative for me was that the characters of the two detectives initially seemed to verge on the cliche. That is, the experienced older cop paired with the cocky youngster. However, over the course of the story their characters became richer and more fully developed. Still, even by the end of the book I wanted to give the young detective a smack upside the head (although that might be my age showing).
All in all, this is novel I’d recommend to anyone who enjoys crime fiction, or even for anyone looking for something different.
Why 4 stars instead of 5? To me, 3 stars indicates something worth reading, 4 stars indicates that a book that has something special going for it in addition to being a good read, and 5 stars is reserved for books with a richness and depth that totally blow me away (eg. "Dune" or "Lord of the Rings").
DISCLAIMER : I received a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review as part of Mystery Thriller Week. ( )
  briangreiner | Sep 16, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,782,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible