The Cave (The Wind Cave Book 1) by Michela…

The Cave (The Wind Cave Book 1)

by Michela Montgomery

421,664,912 (3.5)None
2016 (1) dystopian (1) ebook (1) to-read (1) up-next (1)

It was different.

I'm really enjoying reading this genre lately - end of the world /Post Apocalyptic type of books, that is. This one is a different spin, and the beginning of a new series.

Six young adults enter a deep, underground cave, with five of the six having little caving experience, and then a disaster hits which takes out an unknown amount of the United States. Throughout the book, you see very little of the surface world, and you only know what happens to the group of six.

The book is very well written and seems to be well researched - I know nothing about caving, so I can only guess at how accurate everything is portrayed, but like I said, you definitely feel like you are in the cave. There are definitely some heart pounding events that happen, and you hold your breath a few times as you wonder how a character is going to get out of the next situation.

A love triangle ends up developing, and there definitely ends up being more romance then I like, but most of it is in the last third or so of the book. I could have done without most of the romance, and I definitely could have done without the love triangle stuff.

The book ends right as the group ends up on the surface again, leaving you wanting to read the next book.

All in all, I did like the book, but I really didn't love any of the characters, which is why I'm giving this one four stars.
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |

This book had the potential to be an excellent read. Six Stanford students go on a cave exploration trip that is to be only four days long and while they are down there the U.S.A comes under nuclear attack dreadfully trapping them all below for thirty days until the radiation subsides. In my opinion, instead of being a survival story the plot mostly consists of who is hooking up together, who likes who the most, a lot of petty high school drama. Also, there is not much depth to the characters except for the exemption of Kate who narrates the story. Yes, they do have struggles, grim occurrences do occur yet that felt overridden by the amount of lustfulness in the book. Why would Percy have a Geiger monitor for a four-day long cave exploration? That was weird.

The book does have positive points. Such as, the description of inside the different areas of the cave is exquisite. The author did a good job instilling humor into the dialogue. Therefore, like this hilarious quote from Kate:

“Honestly, I said, “If I had a patient that was as big a jackass as you, I’d go all out Kevorkian”

I do not think this is a bad book. I think it is more of a young adult book which confuses the reader who is expecting a more mature read.
  THCForPain | May 27, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,918,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible